Fedora Core Installation Problems

Erik1

Baseband Member
I have downloaded the 64 bit edition of Fedora Core 5 on dvd, and i am trying to get it to install on my computer. If i try to install it in graphical mode, the screen changes to a weird combination of the fedora core logo repeating on the top of the screen, and static everywhere else (i cant see any of the windows or prompts). I also tried to install it in text mode, but the installer doesnt detect my external USB harddrive (i also have two other harddrives, but im trying to aviod using a boot loader). I can download any drivers online from Windows, but i am on wireless internet, so i probably wont be able to configure my wireless card during installation. Any help would be great.

My Computer:
2.8ghz Pentium D
Nvidia 6600GT
2 gigs of ram
acer AL1715 monitor
Cd/Dvd burner
2 Internal Harddrives (XP Pro and Mac OS 10.4.5)
1 External 250 Gig harddrive (empty)

your processor is 64-bit right? last time i checked intel didnt have a 64-bit proc. but i could be wrong.

You might need to compile drivers for external USB drives into the kernel via modprobe before you do the install. Does the disk boot up on one of your internal HD's?

Ok, first off, the Pentium D is 64-Bit, the installation does start (on my 32-bit laptop, it doesnt start at all). Also, i havent tried to install on my internal harddrives, because they have information on them that i need. I also cannot partition the internal harddrives because my copy of partition magic is extremly screwed up (its a long story).
Installing drivers into the kernal sounds like a good idea, but im very new to linux, do you know of any websites that have tutorials for that kind of thing?

Back
Top Bottom