What's wrong with DELL?

Because the Dell business leaders are the same business leaders as the ones at Microsoft and Intel. Yep, same people. A lot of corporations do this.
So Dell gets "quality" parts for very low prices. Dell computers aren't bad, but any experienced computer geek would prefer to make his own system.

If you are getting a commercial computer, it doesn't really matter whether you choose Dell, Gateway, HP or whatever, it's all the same junk.

I don't hate dell, but I don't love them either..... I have a 5150 and It's good but I'm mad because the CD burner is broken and won't burn to CD's, and the dell stock hard drive was junk. Here are some pro's and cons that i've found from owning a dell

Pro's:
The tower is silent and it stays pretty cool
2. Lots of room to upgrade and work around in the case
3. The price was good, I needed a computer fast and was strapped for cash so Dell was my best bet
4. It gets the job done for me, I'm not a heavy gamer but when I do play games it works fine for me
5. Has a soundcard with 5.1 surround sound support

Cons:
Dell's "Award Winning Support" really isn't that great. I had a hardware problem and they insisted it was a software issue and wanted me to use their "Dell on Call" support which is 99 bucks an incident:eek:
2. They could use some better parts, they could put in a dedicated graphics card instead of one that's onle 32MB dedicated and uses up to 96MB of the system RAM.
3. They could automatically include an XP installation CD instead of using a restore partition
4. I wish their warranties were a little better
5. You can't read temperatures off of them, I've tried speedfan and it doesn't work, apparently this is the case with some Dell's.

My Dell experience hasn't been the best, it could have been better but it also could have been worse. I personally won't ever buy a Dell because after 4 months my CD burner went out and won't burn CD's, their support is awful, and they could have better warranties. I've been happy with the machine itself for the most part and I think that for the cost it's good but not great. I won't be getting another Dell and i've learned that if I need a computer I'll just build it myself.

Dell's have bad support and frequently fail. Also use propertiary parts.

As I say, buy a dell, you're in hell.

drumthrasher said:
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was great...
i like gateway...very cheap and good!
I agree. I had an emachines before this dell and I didn't know until recently that emachines is owned by gateway. I had no problems with my emachines, worst thing I had go wrong was the CD burner died but that's because it was jammed, other than that I had no problems with them. I don't know why I went dell.... they seemed like a better value but I was wrong. My parents have a gateway and it's good, it's almost the same specs as mine and they haven't had a single problem with it. I would have gotten a gateway or an emachines but I used to think Dell was the greatest, not the case anymore!

i don't really find them bad, actually never had problems except...
i own 2 dell's..wait 3 dells..lol

ones a:
dell dimension 4700 (only a year old)
p4 with ht @ 3.4ghz
1gb ram
nvidia geforce 6800 256mb
creative sound blaster live
2x 160gb hard drives
cd/ dvd burner combo

other:
dell dimension 5100(only a year old)
p4 with ht @ 3.8ghz
1gb ram
nvidia geforce 6800 256mb
creative sound blaster audigy
2x 160gb hard drives
cd/ dvd burner combo

last one is:
dell inspiron 6400(about one month old)
intel dou core @ 1.86ghz
1gb ram
ati x1300 256mb video card
intergrated audio
100gb hard drive
cd/ dvd burner combo

after all those purchases... dells are quite nice...except my 4700 came with the case fan installed backwards....everything else seems to be running excellent.. except sometimes..very rarely.. at bootup on the 5100 i get messages:
dell fan failure(even though the fan is going)
i think there good except there support is very bad... they sometimes make ur problem worse..

DJ-CHRIS said:
Dell's have bad support and frequently fail. Also use propertiary parts.

As I say, buy a dell, you're in hell.

Most of the time everything works fine, then Dell computers work fine. The Inspiron and XPS notebook series is among the finest and fastest in the market today. :)

You can't read temperatures off of them, I've tried speedfan and it doesn't work, apparently this is the case with some Dell's.
Yes I noticed that on my moms dell I was curious abotu temps and it didnt work.

Dells are ok I guess my parents have dells
My dads dell plays doom3 on Ultra Quality :D

PseudoEvolution said:
If you are getting a commercial computer, it doesn't really matter whether you choose Dell, Gateway, HP or whatever, it's all the same junk.

Dell is cheaper than Gateway and Hp though

Back
Top Bottom