More Help

Taylor1

Daemon Poster
My CPU was idling pretty high, around 52 C Found out it was the way i had the thermal grease put on. Got the right instructions for putting it on. Cleaned my processor and heatsink with rubbing alcohol as the instructions said. I put the new thermal grease on the right way. And now my CPU idles at 60 C
This cant be good at all. The rank under my name is very correct.
Help appreciated.

well u must have screwed up somewhere. U might have used too much or too little thermal paste, or u could have somehow put the heatsink in a wrong position so the contact between it and the cpu is not good.

The 1st thing I'd do is take out the cpu and clean it. Then apply the thermal paste (u don't need to use much, just make sure that the layer is flat and covers the whole cpu) Then put the heatsink back and secure it as tightly as possible.

Also thermal paste takes some time to start working well, but I doubt that u had a 7C increase in temp just because the thermal paste isn't working as well as it can be.

If u can't get the temps down then u could buy some good quality thermal paste (arctic silver 5 should be great) because some of the cheap ones just suck.

hmm, somebody before told me not to spread out the thermal paste but to put a drop the size as a grain of rice and thats what i did.

Ok, I would take out your processor, give it a good clean, and buy a new heatsink maybe, and clean the stock thermal paste off that, and then put on some good stuff, such as the Arctic Silver 5, as mammikoura said..

What kind of heatsink do you have at the moment?

Taylor said:
hmm, somebody before told me not to spread out the thermal paste but to put a drop the size as a grain of rice and thats what i did.

actually now that u said that I checked it out. And well that is the way that they tell u to do it on arctic silvers website.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

I gues I was thinking about the old cpu's then, but with my current P4 I did spread it around, and well my temps are quite high but they have always been. But now I can't get the cpu past 70C with a clock speed of about 3.2Ghz (default is 3.0Ghz). And by I can't I really mean that it doesn't go over 70C, has been running at 100% load for days without a brake and still doesn't go over 70C.

What kind of cpu do u have?

edit: actually I have no idea why they say that it's better not to spread it around, since then u get a larger contact area which means that the heat moves to the heatsink faster. :S

That heatsink is nice! That shouldn't have problems! Try re-setting the heatsink, its likely it's just too far away from the processor.

well that is a presscot right?
They do run quite hot, and should be able to take 80C without any damage.
Hows the temps when running under full load?

Back
Top Bottom