Intership!

mark thorpe said:
Hiya GG!! how are ya? long time no see.. hope your doing well :)

yeaps, knowledge is power... and by doing this kind of job, even without pay, in the long term will leave you with alot more money. ill bet the people with the selfish 'i want pay for everything i do' attitudes, will not get as far as the people who are willing to do a bit of work without, or with little pay. and by doing this, free of charge to the employer, he will gain the knowledge, and refrences he needs to get a long way in his career...

I have done lots of work without pay, but thats for chariatable causes, causes I care about, or a cause that benefits me.

IMO you are being screwed if you are working at a PC store without being paid.

I have done lots of work without pay, but thats for chariatable causes, causes I care about, or a cause that benefits me.

IMO you are being screwed if you are working at a PC store without being paid.

I wouldn't of gotten the postion working for him if I would of charged him. He'd see me as just some smart-arse teenager who thinks he knows his PC inside and out and expecting him to pay me with my resume is crazy. Granted maybe i'll work for him and when I decide to move on he'll go hey wait a minute i'll give you so much if you stay. Maybe he'll say ok bye.

However I figured if I approached him like hey I'm wanting to learn more about the business and how you run things and stuff like that. And guess what I won't charge you a dime.

But if tomorrow I mow a yard and I don't get paid for it however he will look upon me as a better human being as going hey I remember this kid he did this and that for free without a gripe in the world now he needs some help sure i'll help him.

Or if tomorrow I mow a yard and I get paid 10 years down the road he'll go ok hes fair and fair but chances of him doing somthing extra are slim.

Really its the work exp. I want to open my own computer business, granted I can build a computer, and I have a fair share of knowledge. But not enough that I believe I can confidently I can overcome every task there is. With me working for him, as in me seeing how he does this, that and who knows what i'll be able to apply it later on in life to go ok so and so did this, it works great me too!

Its the experience i'm going after, I get enough money to life off from my children's money (german system I get so much money until i'm like 27 I think or as long as I live wiht my parents.)

How many of yall get paid to go to school?

Some other options for me were
1. Getting up at 4:30 every morning before school to move the golf greens.
2. Flipping burgers at the local BK (been there done that)
3. Learning that eggs go on top of the bag instead of on the bottom.
4. I could of also worked at the local bowling ally handing out shoes.
5. I could work for free at a local PC shop doing somthing which I enjoy on top of learning things that normally i'd have to learn on my own income.

I wouldnt want to work on computers for free, I would want money lol, Maybe if you stay on long enough and do well enough he will start to pay you

Just to update on the first day then i'll let the thread die out naturally.

I went in today August apparently is a uneventful month for him. I helped him finish up the last build today for a bulk order of 10. Which was fairly easy took about 45 mins I just tossed all the parts in proof he had a program which installed everything automically because it was a bulk order.

We then had replace some bad ram which was easy, today he basically quized me on what he needs to teach me and what he can just tell me to do. I also learned this

Never transfer customer data without customer being present because if somthing is missing and he wasn't there then it can turn into a big mess if the customer is like that.

Anyways going in tomorrow and we are going pound away at my machine.

Back
Top Bottom