New Harddrive

band-aid

Baseband Member
I went to bestbuy today and saw a prett great deal on a WD 320 GB hdd. I immediately grabbed one and hurried home. This will be my third hdd in this computer, one is a WD raptor SATA and the other is this crappy 80 gig IDE drive that I stole from an old dell. If change the jumpers around, making my new drive the master and the older one a slave will it have any effect on my data? Theres stuff on there that it would be a PITA to get back, and I have no problem backing it up, It would just be time consuming since my DVD burner, also from the aformentioned dell, decided to bite the big one earlier this week. It would envolve transfering around 10 GB of data over a 802.11 G wireless network (eek!) and that would take several hours because of the distance to the temporary storage computer, and then several hours to get it back.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I'm booting off the WD raptor.

Changing the jumpers won't matter, as long as the drives arn't in a RAID configuration or something (not sure if it makes a difference there either). But yeah, still whenever doing hard drive stuff, it is still a good idea to back up your data.

Yeah, just leave the SATA as it is, jumper the 320GB to master, and the 80 to slave, and your off!

Back
Top Bottom