What type of graphics card slot does this computer have? v. I hope it's PCI-E

xxndnromeoxx

Solid State Member
Sorry for the ... title, it wouldn't edit to the title I changed it to above!
___

I have a quick question, I hope you don't mind answering and helping me. It would mean so much to me!

My father just ordered this computer for his personal use

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...g=&category=&subcat1=&catLevel=#defaultAnchor

I want to know what type of slot is the graphics card (pci, or pci-e). I am planning to replace it with something better, so I hope it's a pci-e. I don't know how to find out.

I took a look at the current card it has, and on their website it says:

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200p/index.html

You can add any ATI Radeon® PCI Express graphics card to customize your system to fit your performance needs.

So I'm assuming there is another PCI-Express slot in there? But is it x16 or x8, I am not sure. I hope you can help me figure this out. It would make a big difference :).

Thank you for your time, I really do appreciate it!

Re: ...

MikeReiner said:
yes, there is a PCI-E slot, however the x200 is a chipset, integrated graphics. This page here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E1VZ7M/102-3422612-8911340?v=glance&n=541966
has some technical information about that computer.

As for the PCI-E slot, it's 16x. I don't think there even is an 8x PCI-E... only agp as far as I know.

Thank you Mike,

If I understand correctly, there are 3 PCI slots (which one is being used by the gfx card) and also a PCI-E slot. If I were to buy another PCI-E card, since the one installed is already integrated into the PCI slot, do I have to take out the x200 from the PCI slot, and install the PCI-E card in the PCI-E slot? Or can I simply leave the x200 in there, and add another one in? Either way, will the new card be dedicated or will it end up being shared with the Ram?

I am sorry if something did not make sense, I am still learning as much as I can, therefore had to take the long wordy route to ask my question.

No, no its like this. You're x200 is intergrated meaning, its embedded into your motherboard. This type of intergrated video is also called onboard video because its already built into your motherboard. When you replace your gfx card, all you have to do is uninstall the drivers for the card, physically take the pci card out, and install the new card into the pci x16 slot. Then install the drivers and you're set. Don't worry about x200 intergrated stuff, its already turned off since you use your gfx card for video.

PerfectSK said:
No, no its like this. You're x200 is intergrated meaning, its embedded into your motherboard. This type of intergrated video is also called onboard video because its already built into your motherboard. When you replace your gfx card, all you have to do is uninstall the drivers for the card, physically take the pci card out, and install the new card into the pci x16 slot. Then install the drivers and you're set. Don't worry about x200 intergrated stuff, its already turned off since you use your gfx card for video.
Oh that makes better sense. Is it technically possible to run both the x200 and whatever other graphics card I get for the PCI-E slot, or would that be impossible since one is a PCI and the other PCI-E?

Either way, it seems pretty straightforward.

If I have a specific other question about graphics cards in general, would you help me understand?

Yeah sure. we'd help if we could.

Just don't misunderstand, the X200 is just a chip on the motherboard, it's not using any of the PCI slots at all.. when you install a PCI-E graphics card, you just need to disable the x200 onboard video in the bios.

Onboard refers to being on the motherboard it's self, and not a dedicated. Dedicated is what we refer to as a card, such as the card you'd plan to buy, thats a dedicated.

That makes much better sense, thanks Mike. I have to go for a bit, but will be on tonight with my question. It has to do with understanding the difference with each card, but I will ask later tonight when I can. I hope you may check back or keep it on bookmark.

Thank you

Since I now know everything up till now, my main goal is to get a good graphics card that will pretty much be able to play the new games (quake 4, doom 3) etc games with ease.

I was looking into different specs of a graphics card, and the only difference (for PCI-E cards) that I had seen was the memory clock: which usually ranges from 500-1000.

By looking at a game, such as quake 4 for instance, how am I to tell which graphics card I need (without them telling me which apply) in terms of which numbers to look at?

I wouldn't know how to answer that question all too well.. however, what I can tell you from personal experience, quake4 and doom3 will work pretty well on a GeForce 6600GT and faster. Both of those games perform beautifully on my 7600GT.

Back
Top Bottom