What to do with an older computer...?

hascet

Fully Optimized
I'm going to be getting back an IBM net vista from a friend, it has like a 1.8ghz P4 in it I think, and I don't know what to do with it and was wondering what you guys would do with it, idk i fi want to out any money in it like a new cool looking case or graphics card, but i'm not even sure if it has pci-e, so just post what you suggestion is, also selling could be a possibility.

You could always use it to run a different OS on it, like a good Linux Distro. Or you can make a cheap server which can be used to host games for example.

I use my old computer as a ventrilo server.. I would use linux, but.. it wont work on that PC..

O ok, I may use it to host an enemy territory server though I have no experience with server hosting, so can anyone help with getting a game server up and running?

It is not really hard. The game you wana host the server with, should have a special utility to. Should have server in the name, I do know that. Just open that up, type the name you want the game to have, max players, etc. And press host or something similar. Just keep the computer running at all times, cause if its off, that obviously the server is off too.

Ya theres a server utility in the game, but I don't know about my firewall and having people connect to it...i think theres something about putting the ip address outside the routers firewall or something like that

hascet said:
What could I do with a home server?
Well I have one in my home and I stream movies from it, share photos and music with my family and plan to add recorded tv shows to it soon.

hascet said:
O ok, I may use it to host an enemy territory server though I have no experience with server hosting, so can anyone help with getting a game server up and running?
well from what I've been told, if you wanna run a huge 64 man server, you are gonna need a T1 connection, I was able to run a 16man server from my home on the net with BF2 and my IP is Comcast. You also need a very nice server for a huge man server. For 32 or 64 Man, Probabley a minimum of a single Opteron,
preferably Dual Opterons for 64 people to play :)

What game do you exactly plan to use this game server for?

AMD RULEs

Back
Top Bottom