Reformating

...a list of partitions is supposed to show up, you highlight the one you want, and press D.. it will confirm that you really want to format.. you say yes and then it formats....

Put the windows CD in and restart your computer. A screen will come up saying “Press any key to boot from disk”. Press any key (where's the “Any” key gone?!). Now wait about 10seconds for the setup utility to be loaded. When asked if you want to set up or repair, hit Enter to set up Windows. Read the license agreement and hit F8 if you agree. If the setup program detects an existing installation of Windows and asks if you want to repair it, hit Esc to skip the repair. The setup program will ask you where to install Windows. Highlight the existing "C: Partition1" partition and hit D to delete it. Hit L to confirm. Next, hit Enter to install Windows on the "Unpartitioned Space". Format the space as NTFS - You will get an option to choose full or quik format. My experience is that quick format is for disk that have previously formatted. If the disk has not been formatted, then you will have to use the standard format option. Usually you will get a popup message "This disk can not be quick formatted" or something along that line. Then continue the installation. Please note: During the installation process, your computer will reboot. You will then see a message to press any key to boot from cd. Do not press any key a second time, otherwise the installation will start from scatch again. Complete the next several screens on the setup process and make sure you do not leave the administrator password blank. After following these steps, setup should be complete.

Let me know if this Helps

-Chad-

when i put the cd in i dont get a press any key to contiue. I get 3 options.

setup windows
repair windows using recovery console
and exit.

thats all
im using the dell windows xp cd that came with my comp

this screen
winxp_setup_01.jpg

like buckweat said, hit enter to go to setup windows XP now.. read his post.. his instructions are accurate.

i cant get to that point since i cant copy the installation files
is there a way to maunally delte the partition?

sztal, you DO NOT have to copy any files over to delete the partition, All that windows xp setup does it Loads those files in to the ram! Are you getting any kind of error?.............lol Next thing i think think of is getting another copy of the windows disk and try it then.....other then that..."Have you tried turning it off and back on again?".....i just had to let that out. Let me know if that helps.

it says file "blahblah blah " cannot be copied. it says that for all the setup files

it automatically tries to i dont press anything
i just hit setup windows

You got me Stumped then m8? Im not sure what else to try. Seems something is Fishy if the filename comes up BlahBlah Blah, Is the PC still under Dell Warrenty? If so I would give them a call. Sorry I could not help.

Back
Top Bottom