Remove startup entries from MSCONFIG

grip

Baseband Member
Working on a Windows 98 machine. I have unchecked some startup entries in the startup tab of msconfig. Now I would like to not see the entries there anymore.

In XP I could delete the entries from the startupreg key in the registry. Not so in 98.

Boy, those are some great responses. I would've never had thought of either of these options. I mean why even try to work through my dilemma, I'll just tell the owner of the box to purchase an upgrade disc cause I'm too lazy to try and tweak his/her machine. I don't need the experience or knowledge.

Yes, Help and Support is about as helpful as geek squad and as supportive as a crutch made of yarn.

Thanks guys for the enlightening insights. Do yourselves a favor and don't reply to my inquiries.

Hey buddy watch yourself, you are talking down to senior members of CF, it is not your place.

John123 was giving you good advice, Microsoft no longer supports 98, no more updates. It would be in your/your clients best interest to upgrade.

John123's advice is a copout. I know that upgrading to a later OS is the answer to the big picture, but I'm not just concerned about the "quick fix". I want to learn also. I want the experience. I want to "get my hands dirty" so to speak.

I posted in this forum not necessarily for answers but definately for better advice.

Speaking of Windows Update, and it's ending support for 98, there is a way you can still get some of those updates. If they are going to continue or not, I'm not sure. All you need is FireFox, and go to windizupdate.com.

It's a FireFox based windows update site, in which you can get updates for Windows 98. http://www.windizupdate.com/

This link may help with the reigistry: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/win98_tips.htm#msconfig_remove

It may, as you should have to type regedit32 to get into the 9x registry. This says regedit, which is 2k and up. I'm looking around some more though.

That second link is perfect. I deleted the entries in the HKLM registry key but didn't know about the HKCU key.

grip said:
Boy, those are some great responses. I would've never had thought of either of these options. I mean why even try to work through my dilemma, I'll just tell the owner of the box to purchase an upgrade disc cause I'm too lazy to try and tweak his/her machine. I don't need the experience or knowledge.

Yes, Help and Support is about as helpful as geek squad and as supportive as a crutch made of yarn.

Thanks guys for the enlightening insights. Do yourselves a favor and don't reply to my inquiries.
Any more aggressive posts, & I'll ban you for a month :mad:

Back
Top Bottom