Reformating

sztal

Solid State Member
I recently tried to install windows on a brand new hard drive, but the installation went corrupt. I try to reformat it using the recovery console from the XP disk, but when i type format C: and type y nothing happens. It shows C:\Windows with the blinking cursor. Any ideas of what im doing wrong or how to reformat it.

Umm, that's not how you reformat. When you install windows, it lets you select a partition. You have to delete your current partition and create one from the unpartitioned space. You will then be able to choose if you want to do an NTFS or NTFS Quick Format. Choose one, and that will format your hard drive, at least the one you're installing windows on.

Ok.
Boot to the XP CD.

After installing the necessary setup files, Windows XP will display your partitions. Delete any existing partitions by selecting the desired partition with the arrow keys, press D to delete and then L to confirm the deletion.

You should now have only one option, "Unpartitioned Space". Press Enter to install Windows XP to the unpartitioned space.

When asked how you would like to format the partition, select "Format using the NTFS file system".

After the partition is formatted, Windows XP will begin installation.

when i try to install the setup files, it says there is already a windows folder. I say overwrite but then it says files cannot be copied.

Yeah, you have to delete the partition and format it before you can install Windows XP on the partition.

You need to boot into windows setup using the XP CD. You can use that to format the partition you want to use, then you can install windows there.

i didnt see an option to format a partition. only install windows and reppair it,

In essence, installing windows is the same thing. Just go to install windows, and a list of partition should show up, delete the one you want to install windows on, then create a new one and install windows there. That will format it and install windows on it.

sztal said:
when i try to install the setup files, it says there is already a windows folder. I say overwrite but then it says files cannot be copied.

cant
is there a way to manually delete thye partition?

Back
Top Bottom