Getting a 2nd computer..... Need router or w/e?

ok so if i were you i'd get a linksys WRT54G wireless router w/4-port switch, and put it near your old computer. for your old computer, use one of the 4-ports on the back of the router for that computer, and for the new one use wireless...probably a wireless pci card also from linksys.

trance-n-e said:
My old computer is in the bonus room, which is where the router is also gona be. My new computer will be in the 3rd bedroom, where the door is always open. I live in a small house, only 1580 sqft, so its like gona be 10 feet or less from the router to the new computer.
10 feet away, you'll get a full signal and full 54Mbps. :D

But it's unlikely that he has internet that will max out the router's capibilities, regardless of whether its wired or wireless.

Kuberr said:
You need a router, and an ethernet cable for your second PC. You hook up the ethernet cable provided with the router to the modem. Then, you take the two other ethernet cables from your PC and hook them up to the router.

I have a DI-524, and personally don't like it because it's very difficult to forward ports with it.

Get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

What!?

I have the DI-524, how is it hard to forward ports:confused:

ok you have to do this!

First get a
Cable modem then hook that up to the Router then from the router if you want to go wireless you have to hook up a wireless acces point to the router, And if you are going wireless make sure that you have Wireless network cards installed in the pc that you want to use wireless on

and please make sure to enable WEP so no one hacks or uses your network without permission. That can be set while configuring your wireless router.
Most likely you will have to have your first computer full working with internet through the cable modem. Then you will be told to unhook it and hook up the router. First by plugging in the AC power cord, then pluging the ethernet cable from the cable modem into the WAN (wide area network) port or the Internet port on the back of the router as seen in the picture below:
TEMPlinksysImg3.jpg

THen you must plug a ethernet cable either into ports 1,2,3,4, or 5 and plug the other end into the computer. Then you computer should have a little icon on the toolbar that says now connected at 100MBPs, icon should look like this, but the screens flashing blue
iconia2.png

Then you must configure your router and then you are finished.
Take your second computer and install the wireless adapter card, search for your network, connect to it and type in the WEP code if you have enabled
this and you are finished and ready to surf the net and share files over your wireless network :)

Hope this helps ;)

AMD RULES

Back
Top Bottom