UK people help me with NTL, or US if you know

amanat69

In Runtime
I have NTL cable broadband at the moment. I have a wire that goes from downstairs from my cable set top box running up to my pc - pain in the arse and looks messy, and prob slows it down? :S I'm a noob. It's an ethernet cable btw. How can I make this connection wireless?

Oh cool, thanks, have you got ntl on wireless too? Can you recommend me a particular router and card. thanks.

na, not much 4 ntl lol, we can only just get it here, any of the netgear rangemax really on that site really:

Netgear WPN824 Rangemax Wireless Router £78.67
Netgear WPN311 Rangemax PCI Adapter £52.82

they look ok, but the only prob is, it doesnt say the LAN speed, im guessin that its 108Mbps

So what internet do you use? Say if I change my internet, will i still be able to use the card and router?

well LAN/wireless speed, u can have 54Mpbs, 108Mbps 125Mbps, 300Mbps, just the speed that data goes tho the wireless, i have ADSL (AOL) dont really have any probs with the net now, we used 2 coz of the AOL software, but u dont need it if u have a router, i think NTL are the only cable broadband in the uk, soo if u did change the internet u prob would have 2 change the router, but the card would still be ok

So if the data goes through the wireless quicker (300mbps) than 54 Mpbs then your internet will be quicker in a sense? I use the internet but without any software, it just recognises it as a network, is that ok? And say if i changed the internet, why would the router need to be changed?

the speed of the wireless has nothin 2 do really with the speed of the internet coz u cant get 300mbps broadband, the wireless speed is just the speed that it goes from the router to the card, u only really need a 54mbps or 108mbps really, yeh its better if there isnt any software that u need 2 connect 2 the internet with, and coz there are 2 types of internet u can get ADSL and Cable, NTL are really the only people who do cable, so if u change to lets say AOL the connector at the bk of the router might be diff coz ADSL not cable.

I also have this setup, but they connected it up, so it runs up the side of the house rather than within it, and under the carpet in my room to the PC...

Back
Top Bottom