Boot manager for dual booting linux and windows

w0lv3r1ne

Solid State Member
I need a boot manager for dual booting linux and windows. Originally i had one working after installing vector linux. At my pc's startup it would boot to a selection screen where i could select windows or linux or linux without the gui. If no arrow keys were hit, linux would boot by default.

I then removed windows xp pro and installed win server 2003 in its place. This changed the master boot record and removed my boot loader.

I had some extra free space so i decided to install Ubuntu, hoping that i would get a boot manager with it and i wanted to test it out more anyways. It installed LILO but it doesnt give me options to boot other partitions.

Any Ideas? I could install acronic os selector but that has too big of a GUI and takes way too long to load. I want something that will load instantly that doesnt need much configuring.

Lilo or Grub is about your only options. When setting up Linux, usually these are configurable. I've tired and failed before, as well as tried and succeded. It doesn't surprise me for something like this to happen. Windows always want to take over :mad:
About the best I can suggest, other than possibly going to a Linux forum, is to use the live CDs. That way, if you want to boot to Linux, boot to CD, and mount drives with a specific folder you can save files to. You might want to wait until you get more answers....... or ask this same question in a Linux forum. There are a few people here that know Linux really well, but it may take some time until they see your post. Sorry I'm not much help....

Well thanks for your reply. It turns out I could reinstal lilo by using the installation cd for vectorlinux. I went to all that work for nothing, but at least I learned something.

There really is a need for a boot manager that comes default on pc's that doesnt allow windows to always take over. I wish some company would make a free boot manager that works well and is fast with many features. If only there was a software company like google.

Windows is Windows, no doubt about that. It holds more than 80% of the market, so sure it wants to dominate your PC. That's why everywhere you look on how to articles, they always suggest installing Windows first, then whatever else you need. Microsoft thinks you only need Windows, while the rest of the world feels you need a choice. The question you raise is good, because I haven't seen a boot manager out there for this type of issue. That may be something you want to search some Linux forums for, or contact the GPL about such a project.;)

when u install windows after installing the other operating system, windows installs a boot loader and lets u select the os at boot up.

Michael J. said:
Microsoft thinks you only need Windows, while the rest of the world feels you need a choice.
Of course Microsoft thinks you only need Windows, after all, all of the companies think they are the best lol.

I've always heard, partition for Windows. Install Windows. Partition unpartitioned space for Linux, usually 1 for /boot another for / and a 3rd for swap, sometimes a 4th for /user /home or where ever the other users on the computer store files. Partition schemes are really preference so whatever suits your needs best. After partitioning for linux, install it. Configure your bootloader (grub or lilo), grub is more popular, tons of help / documentation on it. Lilo is an older B.L. still works though. Grub = recommended.

Good luck.

No, Windows does not give you a boot loader. The MBR deletes itself when you try to partition Windows, hence why you need Lilo or Grub as bootloaders. I personally use Lilo because it's extremely simple, but Grub has some nice customization features on it.

I agree, Windows is a real jerk if you try installing it second after anything. You always want to install Windows first (if you really want it!) and then your favorite Linux distro. Most Linux distros give you an option to install either Lilo or Grub. I prefer Lilo myself also.

Back
Top Bottom