Core 2 Duo VS. AMD? Really?

the new core 2 duos take the better architecture over speed stance in microprocessor development. the e6400 can be EASILY overclocked to the performance of a fx-62 without much temperature increase or need for cooling solutions. at only $250 it's the best bang for your buck.

alvino said:
Yes, that is true. The Core 2 Duo E6600 costs $316 MSRP and it performs just as well, if not better than the Athlon 64 FX-62.

$316 is NOT MSRP, $316 would be the price per processor bought directy from Intel in quantities of 1000. A price of roughly 340 should be correct. And yes, it beats the FX-62 in all tests. The least it does it tie it.

I think the E6400 is nicely priced at 250? is it? versus my current 4200+ that was 370 something, even though i got it after price cuts at 195 i think its not to "hefty"

It is not hefty at all considering the performance you get compared to an AMD processor.

Dayyyymn! It looks like I'll be getting a Core 2 Duo when Windows Vista comes out. Until then I should be fine with this build I'm putting together?

AMD 3500+
Asus A8N-SLI SE
1 GB DDR RAM
74 GB Western digital 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Hard disk
160GB Seagate 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Hard disk
Nvidia 6800GT
Creative X-Fi Music

Antec P180 case
Not sure about PSU yet.

This will be ok until vista. I'm a gamer, so I need to keep up lol. I'll have this system in about 2 weeks hopefully, I've already got the 3500+ and mobo along with the 6800gt in my current pc. I'm buying all the other parts.

P.S. - I now see why AMD's suddenly dropped big in price. You people have converted me lol.

get some cheap RAM, as you will be buying DDR2 soon. heheh, welcome to the dark side :cool:

Yeah, Conroe pawns everything AMD has by a long shot. The AM2 architecture uses DDR2 as well, but its just not as well developed as the Conroe. Conroe's big L2 cache, also helps it crush AMD's attempts to maintain their iron fist on the tech world. Lol, yeah your current build looks good. What are your current specs, anyway? If they're similiar to your new build, just save up for the Conroe. It'll be a better upgrade, down the road.

Oh yeah, the Conroe is LGA 775 socket, but the Conroe is a 65nm cpu. It just won't work with current mobos. You'll have to buy a completely new board for it, in case you didn't know. Good luck, and hope you have fun with your build.

At the moment my current build has a prescott 2.93 ghz, no soundcard, onboard sound which is bugged up. Also i got that seagate hard disk in here, a tiny case, rubbish psu and crap dvd drive. To get the build i posted up there, i'll be spending about £400, but i think it'll be worth it as i will be able to keep most parts and all i'll have to do is upgrade the the mobo and processor to the conroe in about 6 months. I have a 3500+ with the mobo lying around, have done since xmas, i wanna fit it in and improve this build i've got. Current build:

2.93 ghz prescott
1 GB DDR RAM
some crap mobo with crap oboard sound
Nvidia 6800GT

tiny packard bell crap case
crap noisey psu.

with an input of about £400 - £450 it will turn into

AMD 3500+
Asus A8N-SLI SE
1 GB DDR RAM
74 GB Western digital 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Hard disk
Nvidia 6800GT
Creative X-Fi Music

Antec P180 case
Not sure about PSU yet.

So you guys think what i'm doing is ok? Do this until Vista comes out properly, then get my intel duo

Back
Top Bottom