Static building a computer?

tamelochi

Baseband Member
Safety building computer HELP! Im going to start building my computer tomorrow, any safety advice (for my computer?!) like static... and could anyone give me a quick guide on steps of assembaly

Don't sweat it too much. Either wear shoes or take off both your shoes and socks. Touch a door knob every so often.

MarxSoccer said:
Touch a door knob every so often.
thats the only thing I do. (though I use the case instead of a door knob). Anything made out of metal should be fine, though some people suggest that it should be unpainted metal.

And remember to put those little thingys (the ones u attach the screws to) under the mobo before u put the mobo into the case.

wear only socks run around on your carpet for about 15 minutes and then procede to touch all the major components while talking on the phone, in the bathtub, during a thunderstorm

wear only socks run around on your carpet for about 15 minutes and then procede to touch all the major components while talking on the phone, in the bathtub, during a thunderstorm

If this doesn't work, try taking a telsa coil and turn your PC on and turn the telsa coil on right around the CPU.

On a serious note, wear shoes, try and nott o work on carpet touch somthing metal ever so often. Make sure your PC IS UNPLUGED AND THE PSU IS SET TO OFF.

don't worry too much about it. i've built a few computers, and none of them have died due to static electricity as of yet, i've done it on all surfaces carpet (don't recommend) wooden ceramic everything, just touch the inside of the case or the psu once in a while and take off your socks. it's summer right now anyway you won't have a problem with static electricity. worse come to worse, RMAs are available.

Bob94571 said:

he's kidding... thats exactly what not to do...

it's easy, very, very easy.. you'll be fine

I usually install the psu first and plug it in the power strip. That grounds the case. 3rd pin in the plug is earth ground and is connected to the box the psu circuits are in. When you mount it to the case it makes a mechanical connect and grounds the case.
But if you don't want to do that then barefoot is the best route to go.

Back
Top Bottom