ISP Change

fiXXXer

Beta member
Hi,
We (the company I work for) are changing ISPs today (They don't give me much notice), and with that, our IP Addresses are changing. We only use one IP, though we host a number of services: Webmail, Mail, MySQL and Web. How can I move over our IP/DNS with minimal downtime?

Thanks for any help!
--Kyle Johnson

If your switching isp's, you will probably loose that single static. So what you will have to do is contact your isp to get a block of 8 or more. And then associate the domain name to you ip addresses.

The reason you need a block instead of a single, is because you are hosting on YOUR end, so your computer ip cannot be changing. So if you configure your modem/router to hand out these ip addresses to your computer you will be good to go.

burton_o6 said:
If your switching isp's, you will probably loose that single static. So what you will have to do is contact your isp to get a block of 8 or more. And then associate the domain name to you ip addresses.

The reason you need a block instead of a single, is because you are hosting on YOUR end, so your computer ip cannot be changing. So if you configure your modem/router to hand out these ip addresses to your computer you will be good to go.

So it's perfectly cool for him to throw out his working NAT solution and go for this more complicated, uneccessary complex set up? I totally see where you're going with this.

burton_o6 said:

I am confused.
We are switching ISPs - we currently have about 200 avaliable public IP addresses, however, we use only one. Our new ISP is giving us 4 public IP addresses, however, we will only be using one (for now, anyway.)

We do not host our own DNS, though we do host our own mail, web, anti-spam and SQL.

I simply need the best-practices way for updating the DNS entries, so we'll have minimal loss during the transition.

Well where do you own your domain from.

If it's a place like 1and1.com it's best to just update your IP address in your control panel. After this your DNS records will propogate all accross the net within 2 days.

Our web provider, orcsweb.com, handles our DNS. I know that I could simply tell them to change over our records, but that'll be 2 days or so of problems.

Satori said:
So it's perfectly cool for him to throw out his working NAT solution and go for this more complicated, uneccessary complex set up? I totally see where you're going with this.

Where is he getting these ip addresses? His isp? They are not going to transfer the ips. Atleast i havent seen an isp to do it yet.

burton_o6 said:
Where is he getting these ip addresses? His isp? They are not going to transfer the ips. Atleast i havent seen an isp to do it yet.

Shut up.

fiXXXer said:
Our web provider, orcsweb.com, handles our DNS. I know that I could simply tell them to change over our records, but that'll be 2 days or so of problems.

You're pretty much stuck in this matter. If your web provider doesn't provide adequate DNS delegation, you could always find a third-party provider. Chances are you'll get better service with someone who is dedicated to DNS services, but whatever the case, when a domain's A record's (or whatever record, for that matter) changes, it still has to circulate the globe.

I use afraid.org for all my DNS needs. They've treated me fairly well, but your milage will definately very.

Stop acting like you know what your talking about. If you don't even know what record it is, I think you need to shut up.

Back
Top Bottom