umd videos

Yup, for an obvious reason. UMD movies are expensive, and the size of the disc simply can't match DVD's, so people just buy DVD's to save money. Another one of Sony's failed formats...they seem to do that all the time, don't they?

memory cards are just so cheap and movies are so easy to get hold of (sorry if this threads kinda old, just catching up here)

alvino said:
Yup, for an obvious reason. UMD movies are expensive, and the size of the disc simply can't match DVD's, so people just buy DVD's to save money. Another one of Sony's failed formats...they seem to do that all the time, don't they?

got my fingers crossed for blu-ray though! thats really the only one that could really affect sony.

i wonder what sony will use in psp2

Zaki said:
got my fingers crossed for blu-ray though! thats really the only one that could really affect sony.

i wonder what sony will use in psp2

Heh, Blu-Ray...

I sure hope Sony knows what they're doing, considering their track record with new formats. :p

BetaMax? MiniDisc? UMD?

All those have one thing in common: they're from Sony and they failed. :)

alvino said:
Heh, Blu-Ray...

I sure hope Sony knows what they're doing, considering their track record with new formats. :p

BetaMax? MiniDisc? UMD?

All those have one thing in common: they're from Sony and they failed. :)

well, even if it fails, i hope it doesnt fail because of the lame ass hd-dvds which do suck compared to the blu ray.

HD-DVD isn't "lame ass," and you can't say they suck, because they do have advantages. Just because Blu-Ray can store more, doesn't mean it's superior as a whole. Remember the whole BetaMax vs. VHS War? BetaMax was technologically superior to VHS, but because it was so complex to manufacture, prices were expensive, which lead to VHS winning. The only difference now is that both sides have more supporters in each camp.

alvino said:
HD-DVD isn't "lame ass," and you can't say they suck, because they do have advantages. Just because Blu-Ray can store more, doesn't mean it's superior as a whole. Remember the whole BetaMax vs. VHS War? BetaMax was technologically superior to VHS, but because it was so complex to manufacture, prices were expensive, which lead to VHS winning. The only difference now is that both sides have more supporters in each camp.

because hd is still a market for the people who are willing to pay the premium price, i feel that manufacturers should not hold back on next gen formats and continue with the higher end blu-ray. for most of us the difference between hd-dvd and blu-ray doesnt matter as we cant afford the entire technology package, however the richer people who are willing to get the best will buy blu-ray no matter what the price tag, i just dont think that price should be an issue when selecting a next gen format. as for manufacturing difficulties, sony needs to suck it up and support its format.

Ahh, but you see...90% of consumers aren't rich people who can afford cutting-edge technology. Most of us want to have something new but for an affordable price. :) That's where HD-DVD comes in. I like how you think, but most people don't think that way. If they can buy next-gen technology, they want something that THEY can afford, not something that is superior on paper and supported by rich people. :)

thats why i think that sony may get away with selling blu-ray discs for a little bit more than the hd-discs, but they have to lower the price of their blu-ray players. a potential $500 difference in hd and br players is too much, sony needs to do something about that.

Back
Top Bottom