overclocking

Ronco Rox

Fully Optimized
hey guys i just overclocked my Geforce 6500 video card from a core clock of 400 mhz to 468 mhz and my memory clock from 532 mhz to 600 mhz. i ran a benchmarl before overclocking and after and it worked!

before overclocking i was 21,337 with 3D Mark 2001 and after i was 23,000 flat. (i used 2001 because 2006 i have 0 FPS throughtout the entire thing)

so here are my questions, before i just check rivatuner and it said that my video card was back at its defaults.

how come the overclocking didn't save when i restarted my computer?

and secondly,

should i bother and overclock my CPU? is it worth it or is my AMD Athlon 64 3500+ enough?

thanks in advance guys.

Depends on your temperatures and if you have a good heatsink or not.

As for the overclocking, there should be an option with NVTweak(or CoolBits) that allows you to start up with the configured clocks every time.

right now my cpu is outrunning yours lol, yes ocing your cpu is worth it. i'm buying a new cpu fan and heatsink and am going for 2.6ghz, which is a pretty good overclock and huge gains in fps during gaming. So definately, and the program you used to overclock your gpu should have a setting that makes it run those settings at startup

Ronco Rox said:
how come the overclocking didn't save when i restarted my computer?.......
Did you check the 'Apply these settings at start up" box?? and do you have RivaTuner set to load at start up??

It's easier to oc via the nVidia control panel after you have enabled driver level overclocking with RivaTuner btw

overclocking.jpg

Also yes it is worth it to overclock your CPU. You might not notice when only overclocking 200mhz, but once you overclock it around 400mhz or more you defently notice a difference.

Ronco Rox said:
.....before overclocking i was 21,337 with 3D Mark 2001 and after i was 23,000 flat. (i used 2001 because 2006 i have 0 FPS throughtout the entire thing).......
Everyone apart from the x6800 Conroe has 0fps in 06, I believe the only time I have seen a 1+ fps in '06 is the result I posted in the 03, 05, 06 thread where the Conroe along with dual X1900XT's scored 1.5 fps in test 2 iirc, have a look. 2001 is old hat, at least use '05, it is the most graphics intensive of the older benchies and seems as how you're only oc your gpu it will give the best indication.

Deathstar said:
You'll still need to have RivaTuner load at start for it to stick iirc

yeah but checking that box starts the video card with the overclocked settings. i don't think you have to have the program start up when you boot the computer.

Back
Top Bottom