Computing in Europe

harold17

Beta member
Hi All,

I bought a new desktop computer about a year ago. The problem is I might be moving to Germany and I would like to take my computer with me. Is this a good idea? I know that I will need to get a new plug for electricity, but someone told me I might have problems with different voltage.
Any thoughts?

Hmm.... not sure what will happen. You will definitely need a different plug, but I am not sure if your PSU could handle the increased voltage. I'll look around and see what I can find!

I think you just have to flip that little switch on the back of the PSU, to 110. Or, just buy a new PSU, from germany. Nik00117 will know about all this, he lives in Germany.

I believe joxely is right.... there is a switch in the back of most power supplies that handles different voltages.

Yeah check if u have the swich on the back of the psu. If u don't then I think that u should get a new psu. If it does then just turn it to the other side and get the right kind of plug and it should work without any problems.

Just switch it from 115 to 230.

I have rarely ran across a PSU that doesn't have such a switch. It may be inside of the case so you might have to open it up.

O BTW just look for the switch, don't switch it yourself and where in Germany are you going to be at.

Ahh, do the people in US have the switch at 115/110 already? In the UK, we have them set to 250, and if you have them lower...Bang!

i moved to spain a few years back with my pc, and altho the power is the same ie voltage. i do know ( not sure what its like in germany) the power levels that the power companies dish out fluctuate sooo much like + or -10 to 15% which is crazy so i had a lot of crashes, so i had to get a better quality psu to deal with the changes. Also im going to get a surge protector. saying this, i worked in germany for a while and i do know that in terms of virtually everything technological they are far ahead of the spanish. PSU's arent that expensive so it might just be safer to buy one over there, the spanish ones seems to be able to cope with the fluctuating power levels more easily, maybe a german bought one would be best for use in germany.

Most likely, I would suggest getting a PSU there in Germany as they will be manufactured for use in Europe. :)

Back
Top Bottom