My PC keeps shutting off suddenly...Why?

Ireland

Solid State Member
Hiya,

I hope somebody can assist me..

My computer has developed a problem within the last few weeks. I've had my computer about 10 months and never had this kind of problem before..

The problem is my computer just shuts off out of the blue without any warning at seemingly random times. :confused: . The power just basically cuts and the screen becomes blank so i have to restart my computer again. After a restart the power is fine for anything from 10 mins to an hour...

I've checked to make sure my Power Options are correct and I am sure they are... I have system standby etc all set to never to try and prevent my computer from just suddenly shutting off..

Is this a sign of a virus??? I have scanned with AVG Professional Edition...even though sometimes the pc just shuts off in the middle of the scanning..

Any help would be great...
Thank you,
Declan..

Thanks for the quick reply.. That might well be the problem..,

I downloaded speedfan....

HDO- 56C
ACPI Temp - 89C

Are these figures normal..? If not what should I do..?

That bottom one is Certainly not normal. Have you overclocked your PC? Also, what make is your computer? I am not exactly sure what ACPI is, but its not ment to be that hot :)

I havent clocked my computer at all...I ve had my PC for 10 months and never changed the configurations relating to heating or the clocking. I can manually do it with Speedfan I guess..
What should be the configurations for normal clocking......?

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite, Pentium 4, CPU 2.80 GHZ
The system is Windows Professional...Im not sure if thats enough info or not..

ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)..Just found that in a search now.. :confused:

Hmm... I dont know what to suggest... Maby you should call toshiba? If it was a PC, i would say get some more fans, but i dont really know about notebooks :( Sorry Dude

I had a buddy who had this same problem. What Toshiba did was stuck a full size p4 in to a laptop giving it over heathing problems. U might want to look in to getting a Lappy Cooler, Or try sticking a book under one side to prop it up.

sticking a book there is not going to prevent internal over heating. dec, do you notice excessive heat when you're typing or using the touch pad?

I do notice some excess heat on the keys in my keyboard alright...

My touchpad feels normal..

What is a Lappy Cooler and how do they work?

Back
Top Bottom