Can it get any worse?

Impruv

In Runtime
Sadly, these past few weeks have been horrible for me. First, my PSU dies on me, a fairly good quality Ultra 500w with dual 12v rails. I lost my bill and tigerdirect could not find my "proof of purchase" which ULTRA needed for an RMA. So there's nothing I can do but buy a new PSU which is shedding another 100 or so dollars. Then, I find out that my 160gb external harddrive can no longer be recognized by any computer that I have. So, I goto IOMEGA support forums and guess what, they have the most unresponsive support ever and other ppl at that forum suggested to me it's no use to wait for a reply from IOMEGA and that the best way to go is to just recover the data i have at best buy or something and then buy a new one that's NOT IOMEGA branded :p ... well anyways, that's another 150$ or more depending on the size I get. Maybe I just won't get another external harddrive at all. But the point is, about $250 has just died and been lost. Which is hard for me since I'm 16 with no job. So there's my little rant.

So; when my fairly high quality PSU died, could it have damaged any other part, if it did; GOD HELP ME PLEASE. And just in advance as a question before I get another PSU, which one should i get that is fairly nice but not too expensive and if my old psu did damage a component, would it be easy to narrow down which component is faulty knowing I have no other computer I can test various components on?

Sorry for the long post!

It's not too long, since I'm viewing this through 1680x1050. :p

Haha, sorry about the dead PSU. Ultra PSU's look great and sound great, but they don't have the best credentials when it comes to quality, reliability and consistency.

Your PSU was a terrible peice of crap

And it could get alot worse, you could be in Africa starving. The only way you can get food is trading tricks for food with HIV positive men.

So which brands would you recommend when it comes to PSU? I heard OCZ, ENERMAX and Antec are decent? but OCZ seems to be quite expensive, so what is the best for price? maybe thermal take?

on a different note, how can I increase the coolness of my computer and components better? On paper, my system cooling seems more than sufficient. Maybe it's my pesky Pentium D that's causing all the trouble? I'm not sure but my computer seems to be always getting too hot which really pisses me off.

I feel sorry for you, not so long ago, did my PSU blow up, and it didnt seem all that good, i think ive stil got it somewhere in a bag lol.

Well, any Enermax, Antec, or Thermaltake PSUs are OK. OKIA are good, but they're like...the cheapo fill.

Impruv said:
So which brands would you recommend when it comes to PSU? I heard OCZ, ENERMAX and Antec are decent? but OCZ seems to be quite expensive, so what is the best for price? maybe thermal take?

on a different note, how can I increase the coolness of my computer and components better? On paper, my system cooling seems more than sufficient. Maybe it's my pesky Pentium D that's causing all the trouble? I'm not sure but my computer seems to be always getting too hot which really pisses me off.

What's your budget for PSU's?

Back
Top Bottom