lifespan of cpus.

killzoneman0

In Runtime
if i get a new core 2 extreme x6800, how long do you think that it will last before it becomes outdated and cant play high quality on games? i dont want to buy one and have it go outdated in a year or two.

Nah, the Core 2 Duo will last for a while. It won't be outdated, but keep in mind that Intel does come out with new technology EVERY two years. So in two years, Intel processors will use the 45nm process.

killzoneman0 said:
if i get a new core 2 extreme x6800, how long do you think that it will last before it becomes outdated and cant play high quality on games? i dont want to buy one and have it go outdated in a year or two.
The new core 2 will last a while because they have good overclocking ability so you can get more speet out of them if you need.

It also depends on your graphics card and how you game(800*600 or 2048*1900 etc!)

AMD 3200 isn't even truly being pushed that terriably hard in games. AMD 3200 can hit 2.5 GHz oced nicely no game to this date will push a AMD 3200 to the max. It'll toss it udner heay load. Any lower end dual core CPU will LOST A LONG TIME! I don't think i'll have to upgrade my CPU for at least 2 to 3 years and I figure even in 3 years my CPU will still be a powerful mofo considering its been OCed up to 2.8 GHz with air cooling.

The question is more like, how long will my motherboard last ;) As you can see, Intel over the years has only been using LGA775. So people dont have to usually change motherboards. If your motherboard lasts long, you only need to upgrade the cpu, but if they change sockets, you need to upgrade both. So keeping your motherboard helps save some of that well earned cash ;)

what we should keep in mind these days is that the strength of hardware is moving much faster than the requirements of the software. game designers do not program their games according to the x6800 cpus, they normally keep a very standard and common processor as the norm. so if you buy the x6800 rightn now it should last you at least 3 years.
even the quad core intel cpus coming up at the end of this year will only be two conroes slapped together on one chip. dual core gaming hasnt taken over yet, so you are quite safe with the x6800 cpu...too bad we cant say the same about the video cards out there!

Nik00117 said:
AMD 3200 isn't even truly being pushed that terriably hard in games. AMD 3200 can hit 2.5 GHz oced nicely no game to this date will push a AMD 3200 to the max. It'll toss it udner heay load. Any lower end dual core CPU will LOST A LONG TIME! I don't think i'll have to upgrade my CPU for at least 2 to 3 years and I figure even in 3 years my CPU will still be a powerful mofo considering its been OCed up to 2.8 GHz with air cooling.

Actually it depends what video card you match it with. Balance is what it's all about. I have my 3200+ running at 2.6Ghz (completely stable) and I can easily tell it's bottlenecking my X1900 XT. Just because you can overclock it skyhigh DOES NOT mean it'll be super fast. It'll be faster, but it only lasts so long.

Back
Top Bottom