Buying Budget Computer - Help Choosing Specs ?

UsernameTaken

In Runtime
I am looking into buying a new computer. I have been using an HP computer for 4 years now and it's time to upgrade from the 2.0 GHz Intel P4/512MB RAM.

I was looking at CyberPowerPC but read their crappy reviews and decided to stay away. So I found Pugetsystems.com. It seems to be nice and cheap. Has anyone ever heard of it? I saw it in response to one of the CyberPowerPC complaints on ResellerRatings.

I am on a budget. Under $1000, but hopefully under $800. The computer will be used for World of Warcraft + average email, internet, word processing, etc. I want AMD because it is cheaper. I am not sure whether I should spend the extra $ on dual core or not. Integrated or a cheap sound card will be fine, but I don't know about video cards. I don't want top of the line, it will only be used for gaming for a couple years then will retire to basic computing. Would an integrated video card be enough? I'm pretty sure the HP uses integrated audio/video and that's been good enough.

The moniter must be 17" flatscreen LCD, pref. widescreen or whatever is cheaper, and I don't care about response time or whatever, again this will not be used for hardcore WoW as you can see we've dealt with a 4 year old PC running it just fine. I don't care about fancy cases or liquid cooling. I want a PC that I can use without being mezmerized by fancy LEDs and cathode tubes.

Well, you dont get your moneys worth at those sites.

As I tell EVERYONE new here, it is much cheaper, and alot easier then you think to make your own computer.

Here, we can set you up with parts, and explain how to install. Simple really.

I doubt intergrated graphics will be good enough.

If you want to buy pre-made, fair enough - building a PC is worrying to say the least.

Intergraded graphics stink man. I play WoW as well. If your playing games like WoW and CSS which dont need a very powerful card, get like a GeForce 7300. Its about $80 CAD, which is like 50 or 60 USD. If you need a better one, get one when DX10 cards come out.

Building your own PC gives you a good sence of ......... yay, I built a computer..... feeling
the only trouble is , you are the " Technitian " if anything happens you have no one to call but thats where we come in :)

Back
Top Bottom