DVD+R and DVD-R

MikeReiner

Golden Master
What are the differences between the two? I only want DVDs for the sake of backing up data and getting it off of my hard drive, but I don't know the difference between these...

Oh and while i'm at it, what about dual layer DVDs? do I need a special type of dvd burner to burn those?

I think that the + format is more compatable with DVD Players that are more than a year or two old. Most DVD players made these days will play both fine.

If you are using them just for data storage though then there really isn't much difference. Just don't go for anything too cheap. Look for a named brand like RITEK that is on special offer (as mentioned above) and go for that one.

Because, alot of older DVD players, and come cheap new ones, cannot read the +R properly.

I hate Verbatim - loads of problems with all their media. I normally go for Imation or Datawrite as they are highly compatible. I used to think -R was the most compatible but I have changed that when I discovered +R's.

When i first brought my dvd - r drive i didnt know the difference but mine plays:
dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw, dvd+rw. I also go for imitation becuase they work better i find and i sometimes use TDK.

Back
Top Bottom