New gaming rig

PapoJR

Baseband Member
What would be better for a gaming rig?

AMD x2 4200+ and a 7900gt

or

Conroe e6400 and a 7600gt

I'd suggest the AMD X2 4200+ with a 7900GT would be better for gaming :)

The graphics card matters a whole lot more than the processor nowadays, and even though there are such things as bottle necks whent he CPU can't catch up with the card, the 4200+ won't have this problem.

But, if your doing other things as well like maybe video editing, then a better processor will help better, so the second would be the best option...

That said, I don't know too much about that Conroe CPU, but its supposedly better than the X2 AMD line :)

But for gaming, if thats the most you'll be doing, the 7900GT will do VERY nicely, but the 7600GT is also a very good card, and you'll get a better CPU out of it for other tasks, but the 7600GT in no way can run new games at full settings and resoloutions, yet, the 7900GT could.

I don't do video editing but I'm planning to be programming in Java and C++ in the computer, because I'm taking those courses this next semester.

I think I'm going with AMD then :D

Can you suggest me a nice modular power supply? around 500-600w?

OCZ Powerstream is always a recommeneded choice, although I just looked at some of the reviews, and there are some poor reviews. Personally, I own an XG Vortec, and it's a good deal for the money.

OCZ GameXStream 600Watt PSU. Get that one.
Good choice with AM2 and AM2. I have both the same cpu and a 7900GT :D

I am in the process of building a new comp ... with a 4200+ X2 AM2 just ordered it off newegg yesterday...i have a 7600GT waiting for it... i think that will do just fine untill dx10 comes out...i cant wait to get my processor. Got it for $195 :D

Back
Top Bottom