Enough Ram?

Sportin' 1a

Solid State Member
Okay this is probably a really simple question but I need it answered.

I have an old Dell 400mghz machine running 128 mg of ram.

I was given a SoundBlaster 24bit card, a GForce MX4000 128 mg video card and an Ethernet 10/100 Lan card.

When all 3 are installed the machine will not boot up all the way. When I removed the Ethernet or sound card it seems to work fine. Of course except whichever card is missing then whatever doesn't work for obvious reasons.

Anywho, do I need more Ram?

I currently have 1 stick of 128 mg and I can add 2 more sticks.

Thank you.

Sportin' 1a said:
Okay this is probably a really simple question but I need it answered.

I have an old Dell 400mghz machine running 128 mg of ram.

I was given a SoundBlaster 24bit card, a GForce MX4000 128 mg video card and an Ethernet 10/100 Lan card.

When all 3 are installed the machine will not boot up all the way. When I removed the Ethernet or sound card it seems to work fine. Of course except whichever card is missing then whatever doesn't work for obvious reasons.

Anywho, do I need more Ram?

I currently have 1 stick of 128 mg and I can add 2 more sticks.

Thank you.

Well its recommend to have 256MB for windows XP, and im guessing that its a older cpu with slow fsb its like PC100 ram or PC133. So in that case get how much ram it can hold. Recommend 512MB for that type of PC100 - 33 ram. Also its your psu that is holding you back when you put those cards in so I would get a new PSU around 300W or more

Sportin' 1a said:
It's windows 98 and the ram is PC 100.
O, well you cant really game so I would get a other 256MB PC100 to be safe so you have alittle bit more room to open programs. I would upgrade the harddrive if you have like those 4GB harddrivers that would be better for windows and gives you more space

I don't plan on doing any serious gamming with it I just wanted to get the old machine running for the kids to mess with. It has a 40gb hard drive that I was also given so th espace isn't much of an issue.

Sportin' 1a said:
I don't plan on doing any serious gamming with it I just wanted to get the old machine running for the kids to mess with. It has a 40gb hard drive that I was also given so th espace isn't much of an issue.
Well, your problem with those cards pluged in was your psu so I would upgrade that the most

Does a 136W sound about right for what that machine might currently have? Without taking it out I think I was able to make that out on the PSU. I think I'll be taking a trip to the Pc store. :)

Back
Top Bottom