Do you?

It gets a little complicated. Here's the long and short of it.
Lightning is RF energy (radio). Meaning it travels on the outside of the wire, not through it. This lets it jump accross an open circuit and continue on in its search for earth ground. And that's the 3rd pin on the power plug. Now don't go and yank out the 3rd pin because you need it in day to day operations. To give you the short answer. Flipping the switch on the power strip just don't get it. Unplug it and the connection to the outside world.

setishock said:
Lightning is RF energy (radio). Meaning it travels on the outside of the wire, not through it. This lets it jump accross an open circuit and continue on in its search for earth ground. And that's the 3rd pin on the power plug. Now don't go and yank out the 3rd pin because you need it in day to day operations. To give you the short answer. Flipping the switch on the power strip just don't get it. Unplug it and the connection to the outside world.

You need to unplug it and make sure it's FAR away from any other metal.

Lightning leaps FAR.

A good surge protector that does phone lines as well as power is the only way to go. An area often neglected by pc users, mine is a Power Guard brand, 6 year warranty and up to $60,000 replacement coverage if it fails.
setishock said:
Quite true, a large surge will jump closed contacts no problem, total disconnection is the only true way to be safe.

I only unplug and switch off my router and PC when theres lighting and thunder. If not its just on.

lol Doesn't bother me..I just leave my computer onn all day..whether It's lighting or rainin or whatever It's doing..my computer is allways on in the day n'd of at night :D

Na, I only turn it off when I'm done, and like you said I have a surge protector, and if it did get fried theres always home owners insurance that will cover it! :cool:

My computer hasn't been off for a good 10 weeks, I never ever turn it off. Well, it's off now, because it blew up before! haha! Dev knows what I mean..

Back
Top Bottom