E6600 mobo cost vs. SLI performance

RyanD

Baseband Member
My original plan was to get a Athlon X2 4800 for cheap once Conroe came out, but after seeing how the E6600 is right up there with AMD top processors, I think I'll go with Intel. I was planning on SLI, but the only SLI for the Core 2 Duo is $200 @tigerdirect. So... I don't want/need a board with Crossfire- I would just use GeForce 7800 or something. (i still need to figure out what one)

Would an $1,300 Athlon X2 4800 SLI run games like Ghost Recon/Doom 3 etc better than on a single-graphics card $1,300 system with E6600?
(do you know what I mean?)

I have around 1,300 to spend, maybe a little more for the graphics. Is SLI really worth it?

If i went with the Athlon, I could get 2 really good cards, or if I went with the Core Duo 2, I could get one sorta good card. (because the Conroe motherboard will cost so much more, which is less money to spend on the graphics card)

Anyway, here are my plans so far:

Case: Antec Performance One P160 $93 @newegg

Optical Drive: NEC Burner Silver IDE Model ND-3550A $34.99

Processor: E6600 2.40GHz ~$350

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB $79.99 (better to have one big or two smaller in a RAID-faster?)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 $89.99 (not planning on getting Vista)

PSU: Antec TruePower 550watt? (is OCZ better? recommendations please)

MOTHERBOARD: I need help here, I looked at the "Conroe Motheboard List" , but I have no idea which board is cheaper and doesn't have Crossfire. Is the 975X so much better than the P965?

Memory: DDR2 Need suggestions. I would like 2 GB.

I haven't ever overclocked anything before, but is it easily done? Would I even need to since the E6600 is fast anyways? I am used to a 1 Ghz Celeron, so pretty much everything is faster. I would like a board with a little bit of overclockabitlity. (is that a word?)

Or should I just wait till more SLI boards come out for Conroe? (NOOO!!! Toooo long!)

Thanks, your suggestions would be great!

The P965 doesnt support CF, while the 975x does. If you want to go SLI you can, with hacked drivers. For a good overclocking board, go with the ASUS P5WDH or the P5B deluxe. The DFI Infinity 975x isnt bad either. For memory, get the Team group PC-5400 3-3-3-8 sticks. (you can get them at www.tankguys.biz) The OCZ GameXstream is better than the Antec. I would recommend it.

How would I go about changing CF to a SLI? Is it hard? (i assume it'd be difficult)

Yeah, I heard you just use some hack. It's not too difficult, mostly software based, since both SLI and CrossFire use PCI=E 16x lanes.

Two good quality Core 2 Duo boards reviewed:

http://www.cpcff.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8615

I would recommend thinking about Crossfire - the X1900XT is an excellent card, and would do you really well.

Do you really need the E6600? A E6400 would be cheaper and you wouldn't really notice much difference, and you could easily overclock it to 2.4ghz.

Your overclocking question: yes, it is easy. Windows based utilities are especially easily, and both the Asus and Gigabyte boards reviewed come with overclocking software.

Why the E6400? The E6600 will go to 3.2 easily 24/7 on air if you have the right RAM. As for the motherboard the ASUS P5WDH is a good board, so is the Gigabyte DS3. Keep in mind that the Gigabyte DS3 doesnt support SLI/CF.

Would it be cheaper/better for games to get the less expensive Athlon X2 4200 (with SLI'd $350 cards) or the more expensive E6600 (with one $200 card)?

I guess thats what I want to know.

Back
Top Bottom