cant boot from external dvd drive

pc trade post

Daemon Poster
i just boguht an external dvd drive and i cant boot from it. i have tried setting to to boot from both cd drive and removable devices in the bios but neither work. anyone have any suggestions?

Well really to give any more help you need to give a little more information. like: Does your boot disk work? Is the boot sequence right? Does the bios even recognize the DVD drive?

Is the DVD drive a USB one? Because I dont think, dependant on the BIOS, that you can boot from USB.

I depends on your motherboard if you can boot from USB, but it is possible. You can load a whole Linux distro on to a USB drive and boot from it... so yeah. Go into your BIOS and check the boot order. See if there is a setting that will let you boot from USB. Good luck.

linnerd40 said:
I depends on your motherboard if you can boot from USB, but it is possible. You can load a whole Linux distro on to a USB drive and boot from it... so yeah. Go into your BIOS and check the boot order. See if there is a setting that will let you boot from USB. Good luck.

well, there is an option to boot from "external devices," and that doesnt work. there is no option to boot from usb. isnt there a way to get a bios upgrade or something? would that let me boot from usb?

edit: i know the dvd will boot from an internal dvd drive because i tried it on another computer with a dvd drive in it and it worked.

Back
Top Bottom