CPU Heatsink

What kind? Arctic Silver 5? Arctic Ceramique? Or I should say: what brand?

How much did you apply? A little rice sized dot? A blob?

Taylor said:
I bought this fan, Compared it to other fans. i read all the reviews, a bunch of people were saying how quiet it was. and how their CPU temps were idling at 40-45. while mine idles at 50-55. Is something wrong?
heres the fan/heatsink
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1432339&CatId=493
It may have to do with your ambient air temps, these people saying they idle at 40-45 they are in the reviews? you have no idea of their ambient air temps when they get these readings, for all you know it could be in winter.

...... High performance Thermal Grease ......
What was the thermal compound? silicone based or silver based?

im not sure what brand it was, but i used all of the grease that came with the heatsink and i spread it out on the CPU

Yeah, ambient case temperatures also factor into the general performance of your heatsink.

Taylor said:
im not sure what brand it was, but i used all of the grease that came with the heatsink and i spread it out on the CPU

That's the problem. That is a NO-NO. :)

You want to use a little dot about the size of a grain of rice and just spread it around. You use too much paste and it becomes an insulator, not a conductor.

Back
Top Bottom