Building a PC

Raytheon

Baseband Member
Building a Computer

I'm building a pc on a $1200 budget and the only thing I'm planning to keep from the old one is the hard drive (Samsung 160GB Ultra-ATA/133). I bought it few months ago cuz the 40GB I had one died. Is there a noticeable difference from ATA to SATA? Please tell your toughts about the build.

Building:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+
ZALMAN CNPS 9500-AM2
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2 6400
eVGA Geforce 7600GT KO
Thermaltake Purepower 500W
LG GSA-4167B DVD Writer
Aspire X-Cruiser Case
Monitor (not sure yet)

Nice Rig you are building there. SATA hard drives are generally much faster than IDE (your current ATA hard drive). Other than that... nice build!

I'm on a $1200 budget, but I somehow got a lot better build than you... I wonder why? I bought a completely whole new system, monitor, everything.

Lord Mythirion said:
I'm on a $1200 budget, but I somehow got a lot better build than you... I wonder why? I bought a completely whole new system, monitor, everything.

Really?? where u bought ur stuff from? ;)

Actually, I forgot. But for your processor, go onto outpost.com It's fry's electronics, and all the AMD price drops are up. Video cards from newegg. I don't remember where I got my other parts, but they were from various places.

SATA is not much better than IDE - SATA simply provides a faster cable link (150MPBS over 133MPBS), and most hard drives don't actually get any where near that data transfer rate. The best bit about SATA is the much smaller cables, which is why its popular.

Some things you've forgotten:
Mouse
Keyboard
Speakers
Fans (depending on how many your case comes with)

Don't forget to try and budget for everything - check, for example, that fans come with fan screws, and if not budget them in.

Back
Top Bottom