Xbox 360 vs Nintendo Wii vs PS3

UK31337 said:
I'm not so sure about the Wii, it doesn't seem like a big enough technical leap forward if you ask me - I think the motion-sensing controller will piss you off no end after a while, what if you're distracted, swing round suddenly, and watch 2 hours of Mario progress destroyed when he falls to his death purely by accident?

Yeah, I don't think that system works. It's nice to be able to move your controller with your body when you tense up etc., and if that affects the game then it sucks in my opinion. You'd have to stay in a certain position and don't make certain movements whilst playing, or you could die? What fun is that? Also, I don't think it's terribly futuristic - all Nintendo seem to be doing is pioneering new controller technology with the same old games aimed at kids - it doesn't embrace any new graphical technology, onboard CPU architectures, new physics chips etc. For it to be a true "Revolution", it needs to offer more than a weird-ass control system.

On a side-note, I think you'd look like a prick controlling movements on the screen by moving your body around. It's bound to look silly.

As for the PS3, it's got some bloody good games coming out for it, but most of them are multi-platform - you'll be able to get them on 360 and PC. I can't help but think this about Blu-Ray, though:

Remember BetaMax and MiniDisc? Both Sony technologies, which died a death because Sony wouldn't let anybody else have a slice of the pie. I hate to say it, but the same really could happen to Blu-Ray - I wouldn't rule it out.

As for me? I'm waiting until Q1 2007 for three reasons:

1) The PS3 will be out
2) The Wii will be out
3) MS plan a 360 CPU upgrade, making the thing cheaper, more efficient and run cooler. Also MS will have dropped the price by then anyway (they'd be stupid not to, TBH - it makes good business sense).

I'm almost definitely getting a next-gen console, simply because I'm bored of PC gaming (everything looks and feels the same these days) and the PS2 is just showing its age so much.

Yeah, pretty much any format Sony has made, like BetaMax, MiniDisc and UMD have failed. Yes, you can pretty much consider the UMD dead. The only reason why they use it is because of the PSP's use of it for games. Almost all movie studios have dropped support for UMD and several stores like WalMart have stopped selling UMD movies all together.

You can still get UMDs in the UK but, even if I did have a PSP, I wouldn't buy movies on UMD.

I'd just get the DVD and watch it on a full sized TV with nice picture quality, and nice sound - UMD just seems pointless IMHO.

Either way, 2007 is the prime time to buy consoles. Why?

1. The Xbox 360 will be using the 65nm process for the IBM PowerPC Tri-Core CPU, and will therefore produce less heat and use less power. There should be price cuts around this time period, which would make sense, if Microsoft wanted to maintain a good lead on it's competitors.
2. The PS3 launches. For those who love it, this is the time to get one. For better deals, wait until mid-late 2007.
3. The Nintendo Wii, probably one of the most innovative consoles to date, should be out by now. Prices shouldn't be too expensive, like the PS3, but if you're cheap like me, wait a bit until prices go down. Preferably mid 2007.
4. For those with Xbox 360's and PC's it's prime game buying season. There's TONS of games coming out Holiday 2006, and 2007 is a great time to take advantage of the price cuts. Not to mention all the great titles coming for the 360 like Gears of War, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, BioShock etc. Not to mention the great Xbox Live Arcade games coming out like Contra, Super Contra, Pac-Man, Mrs. Pac-Man, Frogger, Sonic the Hedgehog etc, the original 8-bit era games, graphically improved for the HD era.

About the PS3, it's a very nice gaming console, but I'm afraid Sony might have overconfidence in Blu-Ray. If Blu-Ray wins the format war, it could be a turning point for Sony, but if it doesn't...all those owning a PS3 might find the lack of movie titles for their console. As we know, Sony hasn't exactly got the greatest track record for standard formats. Remember BetaMax? MiniDisc? Now UMD is starting to join those two failed formats in the grave of the unknown. However, Blu-Ray does have a lot of supporters, however, this is not always an advantage. BetaMax was actually superior to VHS, but due to complex manufacturing procedures, it was expensive. Licsensing costs were ridiculous for movie studios, so Sony literally saw themselves sitting with no one while VHS was slowly winning the battle. So it is possible that HD-DVD's cheaper price tag will allow it to win the war, and keep in mind that HD-DVD does have a pretty big support camp, not as big as Blu-Ray, but big nontheless. The one thing that Microsoft was smart to do was to make the HD-DVD drive external. This way, people who bought their consoles from launch could still experience HD-DVD. However, the main thing is that if HD-DVD fails, they can say "fine, it didn't work out," and just withdraw support from the Xbox 360. However, if HD-DVD wins the format war, they can fully support it with EVERYTHING they have. However, if Sony loses the format war, that $300-$400 that they paid for every Blu-Ray drive in that PS3 is wasted.

UK31337 said:
You can still get UMDs in the UK but, even if I did have a PSP, I wouldn't buy movies on UMD.

I'd just get the DVD and watch it on a full sized TV with nice picture quality, and nice sound - UMD just seems pointless IMHO.

That's the main reason why UMD is failing. DVD's are cheap, and provide better picture quality, so people just buy DVD. It's also cheaper to just convert the DVD movie from .VOB to .AVI and enjoy it on a MemoryStick. It's more work, but cheaper.

UK31337 said:
I'm not so sure about the Wii, it doesn't seem like a big enough technical leap forward if you ask me - I think the motion-sensing controller will piss you off no end after a while, what if you're distracted, swing round suddenly, and watch 2 hours of Mario progress destroyed when he falls to his death purely by accident?

Yeah, I don't think that system works. It's nice to be able to move your controller with your body when you tense up etc., and if that affects the game then it sucks in my opinion. You'd have to stay in a certain position and don't make certain movements whilst playing, or you could die? What fun is that? Also, I don't think it's terribly futuristic - all Nintendo seem to be doing is pioneering new controller technology with the same old games aimed at kids - it doesn't embrace any new graphical technology, onboard CPU architectures, new physics chips etc. For it to be a true "Revolution", it needs to offer more than a weird-ass control system.

Agreed. Nintendo appears to be hanging on the same classic games that gave them their stardom in the beginning. Let's face it. It's getting old. I think it's about time they start working on releasing something a little more innovative and revolutionary if they expect to keep sales up.
A motion sensitive controller? Although thoughtful and possibility brilliant, it will more than likely create more headaches than enjoyment. How many times do we gamers sit in a position of little or no movement when we're intensely playing against our friends? I know I don't and therefore I don't see how the controller would not be affected by all the moving around. But I may be speaking before I should because I have yet to use the technology.
Either way, the bottom line here is exactly what you've said, UK. WE NEED MORE "THAN A WEIRD-ASS CONTROL SYSTEM!" I like the new graphical technology and would like to see Nintendo hop on board with some more 3D intense releases.

On a side-note, I think you'd look like a prick controlling movements on the screen by moving your body around. It's bound to look silly.

lol, that's just funny

As for the PS3, it's got some bloody good games coming out for it, but most of them are multi-platform - you'll be able to get them on 360 and PC. I can't help but think this about Blu-Ray, though:

Remember BetaMax and MiniDisc? Both Sony technologies, which died a death because Sony wouldn't let anybody else have a slice of the pie. I hate to say it, but the same really could happen to Blu-Ray - I wouldn't rule it out.

Yeah the whole blue-ray thing scares me too. I do, in fact, remember the betaMax and miniDisc releases. If I had not been paying attention I probably wouldnt have even noticed their existence. So to see the same thing happen to blue ray would be devastating. It is somewhat of a bold move on Sony's part to use it so soon.

I have also heard that several game designers have talked about refusing to produce games for the PS3. I can't remember what that was all about (I'd have to do a little digging up on that story but I am certain that I have heard that). That's yet another worry.

Performance wise however, the PS3 seems to be quite dominant and will be able to bring a lot to the table as far as handling graphically intense titles.

As for me? I'm waiting until Q1 2007 for three reasons:

1) The PS3 will be out
2) The Wii will be out
3) MS plan a 360 CPU upgrade, making the thing cheaper, more efficient and run cooler. Also MS will have dropped the price by then anyway (they'd be stupid not to, TBH - it makes good business sense).

I'm almost definitely getting a next-gen console, simply because I'm bored of PC gaming (everything looks and feels the same these days) and the PS2 is just showing its age so much.

Reason 3 is of particular interest to me. I honestly liked the XBOX and I know the XBOX 360 has a lot to offer in the years to come. Im already looking forward to Q1 '07 as well!

Yeah, some developers are considering dropping PS3 support, because of the ridiculous price tag, and the difficulty in programming with such advanced hardware.

Also, IBM has also reported that it won't be uncommon for the Cell processor to have 10%-20% yields. Meaning most won't have all 8 SPE cores. Most will only have 3-4, due the advanced manufacturing procedures. However, Sony requires that at least 7 SPE's must be operational, so PS3's will have a normal Cell processor, but it just shows how much time and money IBM is dumping into these Cell processors only to get partial yields.

As for performance, the PS3 is powerful, make no mistake, but it's up to the developers to harness that power.

Back
Top Bottom