Reinstalling Windows...HELP!

AllSho

Beta member
Alright I am reinstalling windows on my C drive.

I have moved anything I would like to save over to my E: drive.

These drives are both ATA (not sata).

My question is, when I go to reinstall, should I unplug the E drive? When I reinstall the E drive will it need to be re-partitioned or whatever it is called? (Sorry I know a little about pc's but not a bunch)

I DO NOT want to lose the info on my E drive. It is very valueable to me (photos from years ago-current, not printed out, and ONLY on the one drive), this is why I ask.

Anything else you folks might recommend doing while I reinstall?

Actually I have one more question.
I am on 2 512 sticks of pc3200 DDR SDRAM
Will I need to reinstall these? or anything.

And 2 quick last questions.

1) What would be the best 'virtual' memory to run? System properties-Advanced-Performance-Virtual memory-Total paging size for all files... What should I set this to?

2) In my system BIOS what speeds are the best to be running for my ram? And what wording would I be looking for as you give me the answer for this?

Thank you folks so much. Zach.

If you think you may mistakenly install windows to your back up drive, by all means disconnect it. When your os is installed just plug your E drive back in, nothing else to do.

Recommendations for reinstall: Boot from XP CD (set cd-rom to first boot in bios) delete partition, recreate partition, do full format, reinstall windows, once complete reset C: drive as first boot.

No you will not need to reinstall ram.

For best results let windows manage the page file, you do not have enough ram to disable it.

Unless you know what you're doing with regard to overclocking set your ram timings to those recommended by the manufacturer. I can't give more info because you do not state your bios type.

I always unplug the drives that I dont want messing with, just be safe, but you can clearly choose which ones to mess about with, in the setup.

RAM, doesnt require any sort of configuration..

1) Total paging for all files..set it as high as you can..should be 3840mb..

2) It will run at DDR400/PC3200 (400Mhz) That's a nice speed, just leave it, unless you plan to overclock your processor..

Edit = Deathstar - looks like you got there before me!

the thing is though, I messed around with my bios before.

I 'think' everything is where it should be?

What information could I give you to help me make sure all my BIO settings are where they should be ?

or you could add me on msn messenger which Im on right now and should be all night?? Answer me there for a better chat?
sackerius@hotmail.com

No matter what bios you run on the last tab there is an option to reset the bios to default values, but I guess joxley has told you that already via messenger ;)

Haha I guess i'm not the only one who disconnects my storage drive before reinstalling windows. :p

Back
Top Bottom