Slow Notebook - Why?

deejayem

Solid State Member
hey everyone, i have a question with regards to the new notebook i recently bought. i bought a new notebook around 2 months ago, and it is just so slow. here are afew specs:
-40 gb HD ( to which i have used maybe 4-5 gb )
-2.73 ghz processor
-256mb ram

it also takes an extremly long time to start up, i timed it the otherday and it took approx 5 minutes for it to load windows, and before i could start using the computer.

if i wanted to open, say ms word, it would take approx 45-60 secs to open, my question is why? i do not understand why such a new computer can be so terribly slow, what can i do to fix this problem? should i put more hardware in? i.e more ram? would more ram make the computer run faster, and speed up the time it takes to open ms word etc.

thank you, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

You could do with more RAM, 256 is prettttty low. Check what is in your startup, and see which running processes you have.

would more ram improve the start-up speed aswell? or just improve the speed it takes to open programs? or both?

Dude my laptop is 1.5 ghz with 512 ram and its fast as hell.Id say its faster than my 2.21ghz 512 ram pc,but its pretty new.What kind of processor are you running,Pentium D?

Yeah but if he has alot of programs, and alot of startup items, with 256MB RAM, it isant going to last long.

if possible, get a gig, or even 2gb if your notebook supports it.
I went with a gig for my desktop and them decided to pay the extra money for 2gigs, and what a difference. Boot times are quicker and it helps the cpu run apps also. Memory is just as important as the cpu. You won't get the performance out of your cpu without good or enough ram for it to use. :)

the computer is 'AMD mobile Sempron'.
yeah the notebook supports 2gb ram, i will certainly consider upgrading to 2gb, but will definatly upgrade to 1gb.

Back
Top Bottom