Conroe/core duo 2 question

compguy91

Fully Optimized
I've noticed that the new intel chips are going to be pretty cheap, the cheapest one is $183USD which seems to be a decent price for me but my question is, will it outperform my current processor. my current processor is:
Intel Pentium 4 630+EMT64
3.0GHZ
800MHZ FSB
2MB L2 Cache

If it will outperform it, i might consider getting one because the price is reasonable and i've heard that because of the lower clockspeeds, they'll run cooler.

the new mobo isn't a problem for me. I don't like the one I have now so I'll just look into a new one and get a new case, memory and maybe even build a new system, not sure yet...

I've considered just building a new system. I'm getting a new HDD next monday and that should be good. All I need after that is the new mobo, memory, CPU, case and then i'm set. I've seen the benchmarks on the new intel chips and they're amazing, the price isn't bad either so I'm thinking the price of the build might not be too bad.

Think of this way. The Conroe is like a P4 without all the heat problems, and uses less electricity. It will offer more performance than your current build too, if you opt for the one with 4 mb l2 cache. I don't know if definitely have to upgrade, but if you're willing to put down some cash, I'd say go for it. The Conroe has beat the FX-62 in a lot of benchmarks. Plus with overclocking, it will be insane, as if it isn't already, :)

Allendales are good too. Especially the E6400. Good clocker. The E6600 is probably the best bang for your buck, while the $200 premium over the E6600 for the E6700 for a 10x multi doesnt justify it. And only, if only you are on phase/LN2/a major number freak, should you get the X6800.

Back
Top Bottom