Searched and found nothing similar: Installing second HDD that has data on it.

PLmatt91

Baseband Member
While I'm going to start the build up of my new computer, I have a hard drive that I want to hook up during the installation of the OS. I don't want to just plug it in afterwards because the lettering (Like C, D, E, F drives get mixed) And I want to have that hdd to be on the PC so it won't have different lettering for the code names (I'm kind of picky) And I was told this could work but it can't at the same, should I just get an external enclosure for this then? Thanks,

-Matt

If it is not your c: drive then you can change the drive letters at any time you wish via Disk Management, there is absolutely no need to "hook up during the installation"

Once you have installed your OS and connected your slave drive use disk management to change the designated drive letters (Right click "My Computer" > select manage > select disk management > right click the drive you wish to change > select change drive letter or paths.

Obviously if the drive letter you wish to use has been designated to another drive you will have to free that up first i.e. you have C: (os), D: (CD-Rom), E: (slave drive) you will need to change D: to G: H: I: or other, then set slave as D: then CD-rom as E:

Simple

EDIT: This assumes you have XP as your OS

Yea, just set the old drive up as either a slave on the same cable as the new drive, or as a master on the secondary (IDE?) connector. Then when you install the OS on the new drive, it will assign the drive letters accordingly. If they are not to your liking, follow Deathstar's advice on how to change them. :D

Back
Top Bottom