Video Card Troubles...Please Help If U Can!

shawn_selig291

In Runtime
Hi, i got a geforce 6800 256mb video card with a dell flat screen 17 inch connvected via DVI port. It was wroking fine for the last couple of months till now, i notice that after i leave my computer on for a while...it starts to display weird screens. i also noticed that when these weird screens come up, that when i press the power button, it acts like i went to start - shutdown.... i don't think its the montior...i'm thinking the video card...

We use the computer for gaming alot for the kids, like playing nfs - Most wanted and counter strike..lol.... i have been monitoring the temperatures and the ambient temp is around 40 c..a dn the gpu core is around 60 c...sometimes i see the temperature bar in the yellow (mid level)... i don't notice any heating issues with this computer (Dimension 5100)... and i noticed theres only one fan, that breathes air inside from the front..and it seems to be working as when under load it rev's up.

i'm have forceware version 91.31 version installed (i upgraded from an old 7x.xx version) and if it helps i have cleartype on. and when the weird picture does come up, after i turn off computer and restart it works again... below is 2 pictures of what happens, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading this long pooost!

untitleduc4smallfn7.jpg

God ddamn, thats a huge picture...To be honest, I think it is overheating, but since you said the temps are fine, I guess not...May be your power supply is dying, or not powerful enough..

I would guess either the card is dying, or it's the PSU. What power supply do you have? Did the video card come installed in the Dell?

Atomic Rooster said:
I would guess either the card is dying, or it's the PSU. What power supply do you have? Did the video card come installed in the Dell?

i removed the 91.31 forceware and installed the older version that came with the computer (71.xx) and dell sent a service tech. to install the video card. so far its working great with older forceware :)

ok , it looks to be an issue with the driver. I tried 91.31 but it gives problems..can anyone tell me what they think is the best version? i tried 71.xx and it worked but didn't have the options for my s-video out.

It should work fine with the 91.31 or the 91.33 beta (91.33 Beta link), (mine does) so it is somewhat perplexing. You could always try some 8x.xx series drivers from the nVidia archive (Archive Link) This link assumes you have XP

When you change drivers do you
a/. Uninstall driver in control panel
b/. reboot to safe mode and run Driver Cleaner Pro
c/. reboot and install new driver

????

EDIT: For picture resizing Go to this link (Power Toys for XP) and d/load and install the Image resizer (5th from the bottom on the right hand side of the page) it integrates into your right click menu so you just right click the image to be resized, select resize image, select from the default options or under the advanced tab select the size you desire

Back
Top Bottom