AMD Now Owns ATI

I think all the dupilcate threads can die on their own...

nobody is posting in Niks thread and the other thread is in a different section that doesn't ercieve as much traffic as the social lounge...

Yup, AMD has aquired ATI. It doesn't matter much, because it just means ATI will have access to bigger facilities and AMD can learn more about hopefully integrating CPU's and GPU's into one unified core. It's possible.

As for Intel processors, the worst thing is that you won't see any ATI chipset logic for Intel based motherboards, but you'll still have support for ATI cards. So it's not that bad...

Of course, there are drawbacks to this merger. AMD could screw ATI over in the GPU market by taking some of their engineers, and ATI could screw AMD over by using up their manufacturing facilities. Either way, nVIDIA and Intel are just sitting back to see what happens.

wow.. i had no idea. pretty intense stuff, i'd like to see how this whole situation unravels.

Yeah, nah. nVIDIA isn't going to merge with anyone just yet. Becides, AMD won't crush Intel. Intel is a household name, like Sony is with consoles, or Microsoft is with software, or Ducati is with motorcycles, or Ferrari with supercars etc etc. People will still buy Intel, and even if AMD bought both ATI and nVIDIA, they both would have to provide support for Intel users, because that would be unfair business practice if AMD tried to choke Intel out.

AMD doesn't own ATI yet. The plan is by the end of the year. But I'd not hold my breath to them closing the deal that quick. Intel can still file a protest if they choose to.

Back
Top Bottom