Development Lounge?

It would be cool to see this put into play but fyi :D on my forum(Yes im sorry to keep talking about it) I have a photoshop section, I will allow almost ANY THING and EVERY THING concerning photoshop or imageready the only thing I wont allow is Adult material,
untitled14lu.jpg
you can do all that on my forum, Im saying im all for this, you can have your battles, your custom sigs, even sig requests, and also tutorials I dont have a problem at all with this just as long as it is kept within the photoshop section, what do you all say? :)

1zb3.jpg

If We get enough members maybe we could elect a moderator for that section.
Edit: I hope I am not out of line by showing my wite, Mods please let me know if I am and I will Remove it :)

You're not out of line for showing your site.
but i went there...

you have 29 forum sections of which 13 have no posts.
this is a great example of the hardfoums problem that I pointed out earlier there are lots of sites on the net that try to be too inclusive yet segrative as well and some of the sections never get used! plus it takes lots of scrolling to actualy get to the bottom of the page! David has said many times that he thinks we are at a fairly optimal number of forums so that it's quite easy for members to see where things go and ask relevant questions in relevant sections.
+there are only 49 posts in total,
now I'm not critisising your forum, and I realy do wish you the best of luck, but how can you hold it up as an example of a great and sucessful forum when there arn't nearly as many members, articles, posts, and hasn't been on the net as long as this site... Like I say, I'm not critisising you or your site, I just think the idea of holding up a newly opened site with very little history as an example of how great this site could be, if only we followed your advice, is a little pretentious.

Battle Arena : Go Head to head on your photoshop creations
Brushes / Renders : Request sites for brushes
Logos/Sigs/avatars:
Gallery: Anything you would like to show off just post the image here
General/tutorial: Any photoshop problems

It started of as a request for one new section, now it's a request for five?

Also requests for brushes? most brushes for Photoshop are saleable items, this isn't going to be a place to link to warez sites or a place where aspiring young photoshoppers can ask for stolen brush sets. fair enough if you were to make your own brush (and assuming there is a general section) then surely it'd be better if this went there, (to save the questions for brush sets to just be given to random people).

Battle Arena, isn't that just a glorified Gallery?

To be honest, If this is how this is going to end up then I'm removing my support for this idea!
I've said time and time again that if there is going to be a change to include photoshop that it'd be better if we included all media, as an example there are at least three members that I know of that like to make music on their computers, (whether that's using packages like fruit loops or cubase). and I'm sure that there are many more that I don't know of.
The biggest call for this forum is the idea that somehow photoshop threads clutter up the social lounge (and I notice people have been making a special effort to keep lots of photoshop threads in the social lounge to proove this).
or the argument that somehow people have to go to other sites when they want to discuss photoshop cause that doesn't get covered here at all.
Is the idea that so long as the people who use photoshop are OK then screw everyone else?
I personally don't care less about photoshop, (and it's not that I can't use it -I've actually been trained to use it). its just that I don't and can't get excited about a new picture in quite the same way as I can get excited about a new piece of music!

since you're putting forward ideas about how it should all look, I'll put forward a suggestion too...

New Media; A place for you to discuss about all meda products includeing photoshop, premiere, cubase etc...

and that's the only change to the main page. that would form the main discussion area for photoshop and all other media based packages. such as fruit loops, paint shop pro, Premiere, Movie maker, Cubase, cakewalk, GIMP, -see there are even more art packages than just photoshop! -why would all the descriptions be exclusive of everything else prefering only photoshop? in all fairness Photoshop is a very expensive product, I'd hazzard a guess that none of you actually bought it! so perhaps we should be inclusive of free products like GIMP which is just as good and free to use!

inside of that main forum I think it'd be nice to have two subforums.

Tutorials: Post your tutorials about how to get the most out of your creations here.
and
Gallery: Display your creations to the world.

frankly any requests for avatars etc could just go in the general section (as they are in the social lounge now). any people wanting to compare their creations can post a thread in a gallery asking for critique, anybody wanting to display their brushes could either display them in the gallery assuming they created them) or display them in the main forum as a general discussion. there doesn't need to be an absolute definiative place for everything like that because then there would be sections left relativly untouched.

I'm not saying that.
I said I wish you the best of luck in your forum, (and I meant that).

I don't like the idea simply because it excludes people.
the original message of the thread is

"the interests of this community has grown beyond the sections provided, hence would it be possible for the forum to expand into other areas of computing so that we were not driven away from here to other sites to discuss areas of computing interest"

(which is true)

the point is,

(in MY opinion -not davids -who will make the final decision)
your idea of how the section should be laid out was very large and cumbersome, with a lot of sections that (I thought) would generate bad traffic -(e.g people asking to pirate brush sets).
or it would lead to the sections being underused.

whilst I liked the idea in principal of a battle field for creations, in essance it would just be a gallery. and hence a little redundant.

I thought having five sections would make the main page a pain to use, (I personally) like the fact that this site has a very compact layout. and it has served this site well, with hundres of members joined with hurdreds and thousands of posts made.

I wasn't critisising your forum, just asking how you could hold it up to a more sucessful forum saying "this is how you get sucessful!"

Looking back in the staff sections this was actually discussed in november last year. where ~mr mixx~ brought it to davids attention that it'd be good to have a place to talk about music. so that's at least one other person who'd be at least interested to talk about music, I'll go out on a limb and say that G9 would also be interested since he's setting upo as a DJ with a bi-weekly podcast series.

so to sum up.

1, I think the idea that we should expand this forum into other areas of computing interest is a great one.

2, If that expansion only went as far as to add a photoshop section, then I think that would not be far enough), and make it difficult to include other new media products at a later date.

3, naming photoshop as somekind of flagship product in the forum description is (In my opinion only) a bad idea, ther is no singularly named language on the web programming of computer programming boards, and as much as everyone loves photoshop, you do have to accept that there are other art/design packages out there as well.

4, I really do wish you all the best with your forum, regardless of what anyone says if you really want to do something then you should keep trying to do it!

root said:
Also requests for brushes? most brushes for Photoshop are saleable items, this isn't going to be a place to link to warez sites or a place where aspiring young photoshoppers can ask for stolen brush sets. fair enough if you were to make your own brush (and assuming there is a general section) then surely it'd be better if this went there, (to save the questions for brush sets to just be given to random people).

Sorry didnt read all if it, dont have time right now...But no, you can find brushes online, for free, and its LEGAL...I thought sometimes people have some good brushes, and would like to link people up...

All free, best website ever..

http://search.deviantart.com/searchcraft/?cmd=1&offset=0&search=brushes :D

Either way.... I thought we were all in agreement for one section that includes it all.

Not a whole section like 'general' dedicated to it.. That would be too big.

Can we atleast get a reply David, its like you know its here, but just dont want to say anything...If you dont want to do it, please just say it, no point in us spending time trying to get the section, if you dont want it..Still wondering, why you coulnnt say one little thing in this thread, already 6 full pages...

He sees the thread, he just doesnt post in them...Not sure if you noticed, he does this for almost every thread in the suggestions thread..

Back
Top Bottom