Wireless Internet Statistics? How to prove parents wrong?!

karling07

Daemon Poster
Ok, I have been BEGGING my parents now for so long to replace our wireless router / wireless adapters. We have a Netgear 801.11 B wireless, and obviously the newer versions are G and MUCH better.

Well lately the wireless in the house has been SO AWFUL and slow and sporadically stops working but my parents keep saying "It's not THAT bad!"

Is there some sort of monitor that I could set up that would prove how slow the wireless goes compared to what we're SUPPOSED to be getting from our Comcast Cable (like a bandwidth tester or something that works with wireless). And also to prove how many sent packets fail?

I REALLY want a new router!!! :p

Thank you

Well, get your internet speed, write it down, and show them what speeds you are getting..

You can go here to see how fast your internet really is and compare it to what its supposed to be:
http://www.dslreports.com/stest

And to see how much packets have droped and stuff go to: start>>>connect to>>>show all connections. and then click on whatever connection and it should show you. :) good luck on your new router :D

The problem is this - Your computer doesnt like netgear.

No joke, I had the same problem, and our ISP went through 3 different netgears before figuring out to try a Dlink. I have to say, the dlink works so much better!

Its amazing, but for real, try a Dlink. Also tell your parents I had the EXACT same problem, and that is for sure what it is. Your computer is rejecting the netgear. I dont know how, I dont know why, but I do know it does happen.

so would that solve the problem to why i am getting a low-good connection where my linksys router is like 25 feet away? or it could just be that i am using a trendnet wireless pci card. never heard of trendnet before....

maybe your using a crap channel to send/recieve the signal
a few wifi channels are better than others
try swtiching to 6 or maybe 11 - they are commonly better ones

lol man I know how you feal. sometimes parents dont want to admit you might know a thing or two about computers,even when faced with cold hard facts

yeah, arrix may be right. i had a netgear as my first wireless pci adapter....

it would barely get a signal, and very low speeds, and kept dropping the connection after a few minutes.

turns out, it wasn't compatible with my AMD processor. so i took tat card, but it in my sisters pc, which was an intel, and worked flawlessly. so bought myself a linksys wmp54g

Back
Top Bottom