home fileserver

borat_sagdiyev

Golden Master
if i wanted to make a home "fileserver" that i can keep whatever i want on there , would i just take an xp machine and network it and map the network drive on other computers? is that all? or do i do something else?

Like you said, all you need to do is set up a network between the XP systems and then set the C: drive of the "server" as shared (the entire drive).

Or you could setup an FTP server on the fileserver PC and use a client to access it.

1) You would need to share all your files by sharing your whole drive or a folder
2)It would have to be on all the time or whenever your going to need your files
3) Yes you need it to have it networked, You can do that using the network wizard
4) When the server is networked, you can go to My Computer then along the top find "Tools" and "Map Network Drive" from there you can make a network drive appear on the list of drives
5)I dunno why I made a list

You could do that, or also you could do what my friend did.

He bought an external drive that is able to be networked. So he has that setup as a sort of server to put his files on.

Pretty efficient I would say, I would do the same, but I there are only 2 computers in my home besides my laptop and what I would get next for networking would be wireless anyways.

Back
Top Bottom