Ultimate Home PC Hardware List

d00by

Solid State Member
Hey, I got a guy who says to me: regardless of price, what would the ultimate pc that just boots up and goes cost. So i say round $2k-3k, and he says he might want me to build one for him. So here's my hardware list for a non-game-intensive computer that will hopefully last the guy a while.

Any comments welcome:
(all prices based on newegg)
Case - NZXT LEXA-NP Black/ Silver Aluminum - $129.00

Power Supply - KINGWIN ABT-520MA1W ATX/BTX 520W - $112.00

Processor - Intel Pentium D 940 Presler - $217.00

Heat Sink - ASUS Silent Square Series Silent Square 92mm Sleeve Blue LED Light CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - $59.99

MotherBoard - Foxconn 975X7AA-8EKRS2H - $199.00

Memory - mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered - $199.00

Hard Drive - Seagate NL35 ST3250823NS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 - $84.00

DVD Drive - HP 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM IDE DVD Burner With LightScribe - $70.00

Graphics Card - ASUS EN7900GTX/2DHTV/512M Geforce 7900GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 - $469.99

Anything I left out? I would use rounded cables and possibly add neons. What do yall think of the system?

Thats pretty much it to me. Only thing I suggest changing is the motherboard to an MSI or ASUS. Don't short yourself with a foxconn board your just asking for problems. I can just about gaurentee that guy is going to be calling because he is having problems.

Everything looks great. I dunno about spending 470 on a video card though. Unless you really plan to make this an intense gaming machine, I'd step down on graphics to a 7600gt. Might want to wait it out until the Conroe is out, for better performance.

For the processor, get a Conroe when it comes out. Motherboard, get a ASUS P5W DH instead of the Foxconn. Get a thermalright SI-128 instead for the heatsink. And for the fan, get a Delta Tri-blade. For the memory, get some G.Skill PC6400. The ones with the black heatspreaders.

Right now, id look at AM2, a later build Conroe. But for things that are out now, ill check out new AM2.

The best computer would also have 4gigs of ram in it.

It would also have quad sli 7950's.

Now thats ultimate.

However, for that price range, I would sli two 7600gt's and still go Am2, along with another gig of ram. Id also get a 74gb [10k rpm]raptor with a 160gb [7200rpm] slave.

I would change the motherboard to an intel motherboard. They're specialy designed for it.

ArrizX said:
Right now, id look at AM2, a later build Conroe. But for things that are out now, ill check out new AM2.

The best computer would also have 4gigs of ram in it.

It would also have quad sli 7950's.

Now thats ultimate.

However, for that price range, I would sli two 7600gt's and still go Am2, along with another gig of ram. Id also get a 74gb [10k rpm]raptor with a 160gb [7200rpm] slave.
Dude, if you really want an ultimate PC< wait until I show it.

the ultimate PC is a dumb and pointless discussion. My ultimate PC would have LN2 24/7. Sound reasonable? The answer is no. So dont start on the ultimate PC crap.

yeah, if you like intel, wait it out for Conroe if you're an AMD fan boy like Moi. wait for the amd price cuts and grab yourself an X2 :)

yes and definatly dont go for an unknown brand of motherboard... if you didn't know thats alright but try to stick to MSI or Asus, they're my personal favorites

..if you're getting an pentium d 940. put it off and get a conroe. those. are 'ultimate' atm.

My ultimate PC would be something that is good. I don't care about stuff that is just too expensive.

A nice budget would be around $1900-2300.

Back
Top Bottom