Using flash drive w/ Windows 98

brimac1

Beta member
I have some photos on my "old"(5yrs) retiring computer (Win.98), .. that I need to transfer to a flash drive. (Intelligent Stick ..USB 2.0 by PQI) I've not been successful, in doing so. -- The actual flash drive is good, because it will function on my new, Windows XP, computer.

With Windows 98,... after selecting the files I want to tranfer,(CTRL+ left click), ... and then clicking "Send To", ... the appearing list to select from, does not include the flash drive, ... so I can't direct the files. This computer does have the required I.S. software installed. -- Using the same procedure with my new (XP) computer, ... the flash drive is listed. How can I direct files to a flash drive with Windows 98?

I have limited knowledge of these things, so all advise is appreciated.

Other things worked on your USB drive right? Did you try switching usb ports? A jumper may have come loose or something if other usb capible items do not work. Another alternative you could try besides the thumb drive is finding an old crossover cable and transfering that way or making the files shared if you have the two on the same network.

Windows 98 doesn't have built-in drivers for flash drives. You'll have to go to the site and download the drivers for Windows 98.

Flash ..continued

The flash drive came with a 3" cd USB Driver (specifically for W98) and was installed according to instructions. I have unstalled and re-installed driver, but nothing changed. That's what has me puzzled. Is it possible that,.. the cd is faulty?

I can take files from new computer and successfully transfer to W98 pc, but old to new is the problem With that, I assume the USB ports are ok.

Any more thoughts? Thanks

brimac said:
I have some photos on my "old"(5yrs) retiring computer (Win.98), .. that I need to transfer to a flash drive. (Intelligent Stick ..USB 2.0 by PQI) I've not been successful, in doing so. -- The actual flash drive is good, because it will function on my new, Windows XP, computer.

With Windows 98,... after selecting the files I want to tranfer,(CTRL+ left click), ... and then clicking "Send To", ... the appearing list to select from, does not include the flash drive, ... so I can't direct the files. This computer does have the required I.S. software installed. -- Using the same procedure with my new (XP) computer, ... the flash drive is listed. How can I direct files to a flash drive with Windows 98?

I have limited knowledge of these things, so all advise is appreciated.
Have you tried copying the files (Highlight the files, Right click, Copy), opening the flash drive in explorer (J: for my computer) and then pasting (Right click, Paste)?

EDIT: This thread is really old but it showed as new?

Back
Top Bottom