Looking for a new motherboard

sicknasty413

Solid State Member
Alright, i just got a new processor. Its a Pentium Extreme Edition 965 3.73ghz h/t Presler Dual Core. Its like.. $1040.. but hey, i got it for FREE. So no need to flame AMD admirers :)

Anyways, Im looking for a new motherboard that will support my new processor. My previous motherboard (ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe) only supports the 800 series processors.

I need a motherboard that will support DDR2 667, and Id really like SLI (for the future) And perhaps support for future processors. (if possible) Id also like dual LAN ports, and 4 USB ports.

My current setup (built it in august of 2005)
Pentium 4 650 3.4ghz h/t (this processor was also free :p )
ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
2 gigs of RAM: DDR2 667. (4+4+4+12 timings)
Thermaltake 680w PSU
Western Digital (i think, lol) 300gb Harddrive
Nvidia 7800 GTX
Creative Labs 7.1 Surround Sound Audio Card
Tv Tuner with dual coaxial inputs and dual composite inputs.
DVD Burner (d/l)
DVD Drive
Floppy Drive
42-in-1 Media Card Reader (yeah, i have no idea, theres like 4 or 5 slots.. idk where they get 42 from lol)
Thermaltake Tsunami Case
MS XP Media Center Edition
Also its hooked up to my tv through VGA... its a 37in HD LCD.. I guess I could hook it up DVI though.
..and uhh, i think thats about it.
Oh yeah, i have that baby watercooled (cpu and gpu) with my zalman reserator1 plus

So yeah, any questions, throw them at me.

Any suggestions for a motherboard? Im kinda stumped here. So I thought I'd ask some people. I can spend up to like $250 I'd say. Maybe a little more.

It depends now. the WS is a workstation board. Not entirely sure you need that as it comes with a hefty price premium. The P5WDH is a very good board. Lots of nice features, good at overclocking too. THe P5B is basically the same as the P5WDH, but using a more mainstream chipset.

Alright cool, Ill probably just go with the P5W DH..

But any other suggestions are welcome.

Oh yeah, does the P5W DH support SLI :confused:

No, there is no SLI support, unless you use hacked drivers. But there is Crossfire support.

EDIT: Nvidia chipsets on Intel platforms are known to be crap. I wouldnt get one until some has tried one. Dont trust reviews. Someone needs to go out and buy one first, then i would believe them.

Well, i guess thats okay. I was just thinking someday when graphics get to intense for my 7800gtx, I could just throw another 7800gtx in there, and do the whole SLI thing. But guess I can just get a new graphics card when that time comes.

Yeah, a 7800GTX should last you at least another year and a half. By that time, the 7800GTX's will be phased out and it will be difficult to find a new one. So i dont get why people say, you can SLI or Crossfire later when you really need it. When you really need it, just buy a new card.

Yeah, but doing SLI or Crossfire with older cards would be cheaper. A new card could easily run you 400-600. But look at a 7800gtx 1 year from now, you could probably get one for 50-200. Actually, i wonder how much they are noww.. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Good luck finding one. They've already been mostly phased out in favor of the new 7900 series. And, if you do find one, they'll probably more expensive than their 7900 counterpart. At least, it's that way with the GT's.

Back
Top Bottom