120mm Fans

kyleman999

Daemon Poster
How much of a difference in noise will you notice with 120mm fans compared to 80mms. Because right now I have 2 80mm fans running in a 120mm slot.And its quite noisy...

Also are the *Silent* 120mm fans which are like an extra 10 bucks worth it? I'm going for a more quiet computer as you can see.

Thx

120mm fans are far superior in my opinion. They're quieter (spin at a lower RPM) and move more air. I have two 120mm fans on a fan controller turned pretty close to all the way down, and I can't hear them at all. To give you an idea of how my computer sounds, I can't hear it over the air conditioner in our house. And that's not loud. It is very, very quiet.

Of course, with them turned that low, my temperatures aren't the best... My CPU (as of the summer in Alabama) likes to idle around 36-38 Celsius, motherboard at 37-39 Celsius, and my Seagate HDD at about 34 Celsius. Those are fine, though, and load temperatures aren't that bad either (nothing over 50 Celsius, usually, sometimes the CPU might hit 51).

All in all, I recommend one 120mm over 2 80mm fans if you are concerned about noise.

I second that. They are, I'd say about 4x quieter in most case than 80mm versions, but push more air than an 80mm fan would.

There are bigger fans out now I believe. 140mm is it?

Yeah, and they seem very quiet too. But I've seen 120mm fans pushing about 70cfm before, but I'm guessing the switch to 140mm was for more quietness than anything.

28DB is probably noticeable, and 47CFM is slightly poor for a fan being as loud (in DB terms) than that.

Though, I guess the loudness, which is why I said probably, is based on their test conditions.
Sone would be a much better figure to state.

The specs are poor IF you compare it to the shitty fans that Thermaltake makes. thermaltake inflate their specs like crazy. The only silent fan that performs better is the Scythe S-Flex fans. 61CFM @ 28dBA. But you pay a premium for them. Yate loons are one of the best, if not the best silent fans for the money.

how about a fan controller, do you recommend getting one?
right now i have no control over my case fans, only my volcano 12 :|

Back
Top Bottom