New Laptop suggestions

ThriceRox

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, I am new to this website, and I am just looking for guidence in buying a new laptop. I am starting college in August, and I want a good laptop for my work. I really want a IBM ThinkPad T60, but I don't know if that is too much for what I will use it for. I really want ne kind of IBM ThinkPad, but I am open to any kind of help you guys/girls are willing to help me with. Thank you.

-Russ

ok, this is exactly what im doing (my brother is about to start college and needs a laptop).

first of all, you wont find a deal better than dell, performance per dollar, dell wins by miles.
HOWEVER let me know your budget and needs, if all you want to do is play games, use microsoft word, listen/download music, and watch movies than there are plenty of alternatives to dell.

BUT if you are looking for the BEST performance laptop out there dell is the only name.

so can you please tell me your budget, computing needs, and the college you're about to attend (dell gives good discounts for certain colleges)

Ok, I am just going to a Community college in Tulsa. I will need it for my homework, and fast internet access. I will mostly be using my comp at home for games, but i want alot of memory for my laptop. My budget i believe is in the 1000-2000 range. My grandpa is going to buy it for me, but then i have to pay him back in payments.

So yea, mostly word and stuff like that. But I want it to be fast, and have alot of memory. Thank you

go to
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=E1705S2&s=dhs

change the cpu to t2600
change os to media center ( i think that should be good for you)
add media center recovrey disc
change screen to 17 inch ultra wide xga
change memory to 2 GB 667 mhz
change hard drive to 80 GB 7200 rpm
change video card to 7900 GS
change sound to integrated creative audigy

and add any thing else that you want to,
when you get done configuring everything add to cart, and in the coupons enter this coupon 77XSMW7Q1C4KD4 (it will save you $750)

the system listed above costs only $1806 with that coupon.

Thank you so much man...but that seems a little bit high for me. Can you try and make it cheaper? Like I want the Microsoft office added to it. Is a warrenty worth it?

Okay, you don't need that big of a screen. You also don't need a 7900GS. And, you probably don't need a Creative Audigy (though that would be nice to have if you plan to listen to music some). Also, you might could go down a step on the CPU. Keep in mind I didn't look at the link Zaki provided, so if some of this sounds weird, it is because I didn't look. :D

omg, i despise dell to the fullest extent. I hate their laptops and the desktops.. except for their higher end gaming desktops. But still, do yourself a favor and DONT GO WITH DELL.

Go to www.newegg.com. and check out their laptop section. They have really good prices there, and DONT CARRY DELLS. I personally like this laptop by ASUS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220021
Its currently $1800, and has a $200 dollar rebate.

It has an Intel Core Duo 1.66ghz Processor, 512mb of RAM, 100gb harddrive, Dual Layer DVD burner, wireless A/B/G, 12.1in wxga screen, built-in bluetooth, 4in1 media card reader, built-in 1.3mp camera, and is a very sexy "ipod" white. Its very mobile, only weighing 3-4 pounds. Its like sex in a little casing if you ask me.

So yeah, if youre looking for something mobile, I would deffinetly recommend this. Its very good for the price and ASUS makes high quality products.

But if you want to go with dell, whatever. Just trying to help

sicknasty413 said:
omg, i despise dell to the fullest extent. I hate their laptops and the desktops.. except for their higher end gaming desktops. But still, do yourself a favor and DONT GO WITH DELL.

Go to www.newegg.com. and check out their laptop section. They have really good prices there, and DONT CARRY DELLS. I personally like this laptop by ASUS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220021
Its currently $1800, and has a $200 dollar rebate.

It has an Intel Core Duo 1.66ghz Processor, 512mb of RAM, 100gb harddrive, Dual Layer DVD burner, wireless A/B/G, 12.1in wxga screen, built-in bluetooth, 4in1 media card reader, built-in 1.3mp camera, and is a very sexy "ipod" white. Its very mobile, only weighing 3-4 pounds. Its like sex in a little casing if you ask me.

So yeah, if youre looking for something mobile, I would deffinetly recommend this. Its very good for the price and ASUS makes high quality products.

But if you want to go with dell, whatever. Just trying to help

12 inch is no good for gaming.
here is a link for a great deal, acer laptop with loads of features and a step below the dell config:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115258

ThriceRox said:
Thank you so much man...but that seems a little bit high for me. Can you try and make it cheaper? Like I want the Microsoft office added to it. Is a warrenty worth it?

ok i reconfigured it with microsoft windows xp home edition, with a 2.0 ghz cpu instead of 2.16 (not going to make a huge difference for you), still the top 2 gb ram, top 17 inch screen, top video card (you'll really be glad you paid the extra amount for a good video card, and of course the audigy (what good is gaming or movies with crappy sound?
AND i added the microsoft office package,

all for $1691

ThriceRox said:
I will mostly be using my comp at home for games, but i want alot of memory for my laptop.

So yea, mostly word and stuff like that. But I want it to be fast, and have alot of memory.

I don't think he's going to be using this for gaming very much. He does not need the 17 inch screen nor the 7900.

Back
Top Bottom