Making a Gaming Computer (I need help and advice)

Chasy007

Beta member
Hey, I need help with making a gaming computer. I know a little bit about computers but not enough to make my own. So i was wondering if you guys could help give me advice about what to have and what not to have, what to pay, whats good and whats POS, etc for making my own computer. Thanks.

First you need to determine your budget.. how much are you willing to pay on a gaming computer? If you don't spend atleast $500 or more.. it wont be a very good gaming system at all.

After you decide that we can get into choosing parts and explaining how to use them.

Thanks, that is helpful. My budget is about $1500. I still could use advice also. Anything is helpful.

Alright, now we need to look for a Motherboard, it is usually the first item to choose when building a new system. For that, I have two questions:

1, Will you be using PCI Express or AGP? (The two different types of graphic cards format)
2, Do you want to use an Intel CPU or an AMD CPU?

Tell us what you want to use and stuff, and we will find the best bang for your buck and within your budget for your computer. 1500 is quite a lot to spend on a computer. My new one is going to be in the range of 1700ish but thats with water cooling. So for 1500 with air cooling, you will be well on you way with a spakin new computer. :D

MikeReiner said:
1, Will you be using PCI Express or AGP? (The two different types of graphic cards format)

Since he has a budget of $1500 there is no point in getting an agp card.

This is what I would do:
-I'd get my hands on one of those new intels, E6600 or something like that. (if that's even one of the new models :D)
-Then 2GB of some decent ram (kingston, ocz, mushkin, corsair....)
-Then a good mobo, don't really know much about the mobos for the new intels so I can't help here.
-Then maybe like a 7900GT
-A good quality 500W (or higher) psu, and a nice looking case with some 120mm fans.

When u have the cpu/mobo/vid card/ram picked out then start to look at the rest of the parts.

there is a limited range of motherboards available. With 1500, i would either get a 975x motherboard, or wait for a RD600 motherboard from DFI. There is a thread called "conroe motherboard list" that have listed all the available/not available motherboards. I can make a DDR2 list too, but that would take ages.

i think, today, around $2400. It could a little less, or more. Probably less though...

Back
Top Bottom