Programming a Host Server

root said:
no, you can host files on your computer to the rest of the world...

I'll assume that you have either a modem attached to your server computer, (which is then conected to some sort of network for any other computers in your house).

all you need to do is open port 80 on your firewall and have it directed to your server machine, (this would either be in your firewall settings, (windows firewall or any other firewall program).

assuming that you have a hardware router then there should be some sort of settings on the router, (usually accessed via a web interface) that will let you make port 80 point to your server...

for an address that is easier to remember than your IP address (and one that won't change) check out www.no-ip.com it's free, easy to set up domain names (e.g www.scienceguy.no-ip.com) that point to your computer rather than some random free web space.
Thanks, Im trying to get a website from there right now :D

root said:
no, you can host files on your computer to the rest of the world...

I'll assume that you have either a modem attached to your server computer, (which is then conected to some sort of network for any other computers in your house).

all you need to do is open port 80 on your firewall and have it directed to your server machine, (this would either be in your firewall settings, (windows firewall or any other firewall program).

assuming that you have a hardware router then there should be some sort of settings on the router, (usually accessed via a web interface) that will let you make port 80 point to your server...

for an address that is easier to remember than your IP address (and one that won't change) check out www.no-ip.com it's free, easy to set up domain names (e.g www.scienceguy.no-ip.com) that point to your computer rather than some random free web space.

Ive signed up for one, you can go to http://torchwood.no-ip.org
but it wont work, is it because my modem or whatever (I dont know what it is but i think its a modem because I live in my parents house) is connected to 4 computers? (I came up with torchwood because im into doctor who :D).

Thanks for any help

OK...

it's not too important if it's a modem or router, what's important is that port 80 is open, and directed to the correct computer.

can you say whether he network is set up like either of the two setups shows in block diagrams below?

network.jpg

root said:
OK...

it's not too important if it's a modem or router, what's important is that port 80 is open, and directed to the correct computer.

can you say whether he network is set up like either of the two setups shows in block diagrams below?

network.jpg

I think its like number 1, but when someone disconnected from the internet, like pulling a cable out it used to stop everyone else - however, theres an internet socket without a wire so I think it is like (1) :)

Could you help me on doing the port 80 thing with mcafee because I dont seem to see an option anywhere - should I turn it off and do something with windows firewall?

EDIT: actually, im not sure wether its like either of them becuase my computer is the server and I use it as a computer aswell and so it cant be like (1) and unless we have a server connected to the hub but I dont think we do and its possible its like (2) but I thought we had a hub - we may not have a hub though so its most probably (2).

well... I'll write both ways of how you'd do this...

The easiest way of saying which one you have is to think about it like this, is there one computer that has to be on because it has a modem plugged into the back of it, so that the other computers are able to use the internet?

The other way of looking at it is, does the telephone line go into the same box that all of the network connections to all the other computers come out of?

if it is configuration 2, then you'll probably find that the modem/router also has some software on it that dos other things.

open up internet explorer and type
"ip config"

there should be a message that says something like

IP Address: 192.168.0.2
subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

open internet explorer and type in the address that is written for the gateway field, (this will be the adderss that your modem/router has.

there will likely be a web page there that asks you to log in, on this web page you should find a page about port redirection and you'll be able to tell it to direct port 80 requests to your server computer.

I'm not sure how you open ports in McAfee because I don't use it. but it should be fairly straight forward. or if you open th mainj program and press help > help topics there should be some fairly straight forward instructions.

root said:
well... I'll write both ways of how you'd do this...

The easiest way of saying which one you have is to think about it like this, is there one computer that has to be on because it has a modem plugged into the back of it, so that the other computers are able to use the internet?

The other way of looking at it is, does the telephone line go into the same box that all of the network connections to all the other computers come out of?

if it is configuration 2, then you'll probably find that the modem/router also has some software on it that dos other things.

open up internet explorer and type
"ip config"

there should be a message that says something like

IP Address: 192.168.0.2
subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

open internet explorer and type in the address that is written for the gateway field, (this will be the adderss that your modem/router has.

there will likely be a web page there that asks you to log in, on this web page you should find a page about port redirection and you'll be able to tell it to direct port 80 requests to your server computer.

I'm not sure how you open ports in McAfee because I don't use it. but it should be fairly straight forward. or if you open th mainj program and press help > help topics there should be some fairly straight forward instructions.
Thanks for the info, Ive found that Port 80 is open, but I dont know the password for the gateway so I cant check if its directed, when I get the password ill be able to check.ill post if I login and direct it if its not directed and it still doesnt work.

Unfortunately, the man who knows the password, James, is off on holiday so i cant get it until he comes back from holiday to fix some of my computer.

The only possible way to find out would be if my dad knows his number so we can ring him.

Ive got the password, its complicated, it asks for the:
network address,
subnet mask, and
gateway

I found that I can access my site by an ip address so ive used that ip in the no-ip setting because the routing didnt work

HELP! It didnt work a few minutes after so i tried to configure my thing and clicked release, thinking it showed it to the outside world and it deleted it. how do i find it again?

Dont worry, it said something about requesting an ip address on boot, so i tried restarting my computer and it worked :)

Back
Top Bottom