Remote Desktop Connection on XP and Server!

Beta member
Hey Guys!

I was thinking.. when I use remote Desktop connection from Win XP to another Win XP, I am able to view all the things running on the screen, when I decide to use Remote Desktop Connection from Win XP to Server 2003, it is as though i log on as a new user on the server and i wont be able to view anything runing on it.

Can someone explain it to me?

This is because server versions of the operating systems include something called "Terminal Services" which allows multiple users to login to the PC at the same time.

This allows users from any computer (even if not a domain member) to login to a special server so they can do their work, and access their files. It also has some other uses, for example our school guidence / attendance system, you need to login to a terminal server in order to use the software.

So your not able to log on like when you log on from xp to xp? i wont be able to see the things that are running on the serveR?

john123 said:
just type the username and password of the person you want to log in as...

This logs you in as a new console session.

I am sure their is a way change it so only one user can use remote desktop at a time. I think it's an option while installing server 2000 (or 2003) or you would accomplish this by disabling some terminal services under services.msc

DJ-CHRIS said:
This logs you in as a new console session.

I am sure their is a way change it so only one user can use remote desktop at a time. I think it's an option while installing server 2000 (or 2003) or you would accomplish this by disabling some terminal services under services.msc

If you were to disable terminal services, you would have big problems and would make your chances of accessing the server via RDS even more rarer. Have you checked the settings in "My Computer" -> "Remote"?

Back
Top Bottom