AM2 or wait for New Intels?

JBourne14

Beta member
Ok im building a new comp. in septemberish but I can't decide whether to get the AMD FX-62 or wait for the new Intel socket and get whatever the highest-end Intel processor is at the time (that extreme one?). Here is the rest of my build, w/o the exact ram, mobo, and processor ofcourse:

2gb ram

2 74gb raptors (RAID 0)

2 GeForce 7950G2X (Quad SLi)

1KW PSU (Quad SLI compatible)

I've got a soundcard and such..

So, Which processor should I get? I will use this mainly for Gaming, fyi

What's your budget for your processor. The FX-62 is nothing compared to what Core 2 Duo offers. The E6600 retails at $316 MSRP, and it beats or matches the FX-62 in everything -for $700 cheaper. If you're looking for the best from Intel, wait for the Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800.

If you're going Intel, get some good DDR2 RAM. When Ownage comes online, he can help you with that. He knows more than I do about RAM. :p

The hard drives look nice, but are you looking for pure speed, or do you want size and speed. I would just get the Seagate 7200.10 320GB instead. It's fast and has lots of space.

Those are nice video cards, but are you running widescreen monitors in dual-monitor, or using a 30"+ widescreen monitor? If you're not, then Quad SLI is a waste of money and power. You might as well save some money and settle with some 7900 GTX's in SLI or X1900 XTX's in CrossFire.

I assume you're getting the PowerPC & Cooling 1KW PSU? That's so expensive, and definately NOT needed. If you're really settling for Quad SLI, you don't need that much power, unless you're going to power the next two computers at a LAN party. :p Seriously though, you don't need that much power. You'll be better off with a nice 600W or 700W by saving money.

Either way, if you can wait about 10 days, Core 2 Duo will make your wait worth it. If you're really desperate for something RIGHT NOW, then AM2 is the best right now. I seriously recommend you wait for Core 2 Duo, but it's totally your choice.

Crabby... said:
AM2!!!

You will be 100% satisfied!!

BTW, I thought that there were no drivers for 7950 SLI?

They do. It was the 7900 GX2's in Quad SLI that had a lack of driver support.

For Core 2 Duo, you will need the P965 or 975X chipset from Intel.

Arrizx, one 7950 GX2 is basically two 7900 GTX's stacked on top of each other, so one GX2 is basically two video cards. That's why it's "Quad SLI" when you put two of them together.

Actual benchmarks?! NDA has been removed from Core 2 Duo. TONS of sites like Anandtech have been reviewing them now.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795

Like the reason I edied mine out, im behind on it all, so I really shouldnt give advice on it, lol

I'd have to agree with Alvino here... Conroe's (and Merom's, probably, their new mobile processor line) are really going to be a new breed of processor. The cost-benefit, as Alvino said, is really greater for Intel's processors than AMD's processors as of the 24th.

or....you can get woodcrest and get automatic 1333mhz FSB :D hahah, Just kidding. Go for Conroe. And as for RAM, how much do you want to spend? There are good ones ranging from $450 to $250. For the highest end RAM, you can not go wrong with Corsair 6400C3. Or OCZ PC2-1000 VX2. Welcome to the return of the VX line from OCZ. For the lower end of the spectrum, there is the DDR2 variants from Team Group. Uses the same ICs as the Corsair 8500C5, but they sell it for a lot less. The G.Skill ones with black heatspreaders are always a good choice. Get a kit from G.Skill with 0506 or greater as in 0606 will be D9GMH. All the sticks that i just recommended are using D9GMH or better. "D9xxx" are all made by Micron so the sticks are very very nice!

yeah the X6800 was available on newegg.com for a short while a couple of days ago (if any of you prowl newegg.com like I do) and it was $1300, its a lot, but not much more than the inferior Fx62.

Back
Top Bottom